As a market leader for over 50 years, McGee has the resources and experience to provide innovative construction solutions. Every project is value-engineered to provide a safer, faster and more cost-effective solution.
We’re proud that all of our work is delivered by our expert teams. A fully employed workforce means we can focus on competences, safety and ongoing training in order to instil the McGee work ethic across every level of our organisation.
Our in-house resources are simply unrivalled in the industry.
We operate one of the UK’s largest and most diverse ranges of plant and transport. From our iconic yellow lorries to specialist piling rigs, we have all the equipment required to successfully complete our customers’ developments. We’re proud to put our name to it.
To complete the picture, McGee operates its own state-of-the-art waste management and demolition recycling facility. We also own and manage multiple landfill facilities across the UK.
- Name: Michael Doherty
- Role: Quantity Surveyor
- University: Anglia Ruskin University in Chelmsford
- Degree: BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
- Why did you choose McGee?
- I chose McGee because they are a forward thinking company who are highly regarded within the industry. They are a multi disciplined specialized contractor who have vast amounts of experience working on a wide array of high profile projects, therefore I was privileged when I was given the opportunity to work for the company.
- How would you describe the training you have received?
- The training I have received has been extremely beneficial. I have gained invaluable site experience that has helped me develop and further my knowledge gained whilst studying at University. I work closely with a Senior Quantity Surveyor who is really approachable and offers me guidance whenever required. I have also attended several internal training courses which have allowed me to gain experience within disciplines other than surveying, therefore helping to increase my understanding of other topics within construction.
- What is the most interesting project you worked on and why?
- The most interesting project I have worked on is Bloomberg Place, where I am currently based. There are various aspects of the project that McGee have been involved with from demolition (which includes working over a live 2.4m diameter Thames Water sewer), the design, fabrication and installation of complex temporary works, pile and concrete foundation enabling works and archaeology investigation/attendance works to name a few. It’s been a challenging yet exciting project as there is so much going on around site, which has resulted in many variations that need to be recorded. Gaining experience on such a project has been an excellent way to make the transition from University to professional life and has given me a valuable insight into the role of a QS.
- What do you enjoy most about working for McGee?
- The thing I enjoy most about working for McGee is the fact that you work alongside some of the best professionals within the industry. This has given me the chance to learn and understand key best practices from my colleagues, as their knowledge and experience is priceless. Furthermore, the staff at McGee are extremely supportive, friendly and hard-working. It’s great to work with people who all desire to deliver a successful project.
- We all have certain expectations when starting a new career, how did McGee meet yours?
- When starting my career, McGee exceeded my expectations due to their commitment to ensure you get the best opportunity to learn and progress. The company support you through your journey to accomplish your career ambitions, whilst offering excellent opportunities to work on some of the most prestigious projects within the country. You are instantly made to feel welcome when you arrive at McGee, which helps you settle in quickly and efficiently.
- What would you say to new graduates considering a career with McGee?
- To those who are considering a career with McGee, I would highly recommend it as the company has a passion to succeed and be the best in what they do. This reflects in the wide range of career development opportunities that McGee offers to help maximize your potential in what is a competitive industry. It’s a company that values their employees and wants them to progress; therefore you are encouraged and assisted to work towards achieving your personal objectives as soon as you embark on your career at McGee. You will be part of an expanding team that brings out the best in you, so you can develop into the professional you aspire to be. It really is a great company to work for.
Training & Profiles
At McGee, we need you to contribute to our business as soon as you are capable. The sooner you can the better for us. Hence, we will provide you with various development opportunities such as (but not limited to):
- Company Induction
- Regular performance and development reviews
- Support for chartered membership with relevant professional body
- Work on real projects from day one
- Project rotations
- Dedicated line manager
- Mentoring programme to help you identify and reach your potential
- Professional support
Face to face interview
For more information, please visit our website at http://www.mcgee.co.uk/careers/graduate-programme/.