Institute of Swimming (IOS) TrainingInstitute of Swimming (IOS) Training
The IoS are experts in providing apprenticeship programmes which provide young people with a brilliant start to a career in leisure. They provide all the necessary skills, qualifications and knowledge to equip apprentices to work across aquatic, gym, general business, management and customer service environments.
As well as giving the building blocks of a life-long involvement in leisure and the opportunity of a fulfilling and rewarding career, IoS apprenticeships provide leisure employers with enthusiastic and educated individuals that can quickly become key members of the team.
Click to view our short film and hear from real life apprentices about the benefits in their own words.
Choose one of the options below to find out more about the range of apprenticeships on offer.
- Industry apprenticeships - our established partnerships with major leisure employers such as Parkwood, SLM, DC Leisure and other local organisations to provide real opportunities for a life-long career.
- Teaching & coaching apprenticeships - for those who want to pursue a career as a professional teacher or coach, providing training and qualifications as well as mentoring and support for obtaining employment.
If you would like to contact the Apprenticeships team at the IoS just click here for details.
- Name: Rachel Hincks
- Role: Business Administration Apprentice
- Joined: September 9th 2013
“After finishing College I’d never really considered an Apprenticeship before as I didn’t understand what they were. I trained as a swimming teacher but decided that I wanted to change careers but also gain a qualification as well.
I saw the Business Administration Apprenticeship and now work with a great team. The Apprenticeship gives me the skills, knowledge and experience which is important to employers.”
Please refer to our website. Once application has been completed a member of IoS Training will be in contact.
What is an Apprenticeship?
An Apprenticeship on the job training so you can earn while you learn and aqcuire qualifications as you go. Apprenticeships develop practical and theoretical skills designed to help employees reach a high level of competency and performance.
How long does an Apprenticeship last?
The duration of an Apprenticeship depends on the framework being followed and the ability of the individual apprentice. Our apprenticeships can take between one and two years to complete depending on the level of Apprenticeship, the apprentice’s ability and the employers needs. As a guide, an Intermediate Level 2 Apprenticeship usually takes 12 months.
Who pays for the training?
Apprenticeship funding is available to employers through the Skills Funding Agency to support the delivery of training, and can be accessed to support the development needs of new or existing apprentice. The Government funds Apprenticeship training in full for 16-18 year olds. For those aged over 19 training is part funded, with employers expected to make a financial contribution.
What are the different types of Apprenticeships IoS training deliver?
Apprenticeships are increasingly recognised as the superior standard for work-based training. IoS Training deliver 7 main frameworks:
- Level 2 Coaching Learn to Swim – ASA (Amateur Swimming Association)
- Level 2 Customer Service - Active IQ
- Level 2 Business and Administration - Active IQ
- Level 2 Instructing Exercise and Fitness (GYM) – Active IQ
- Level 2 Activity Leadership – Active IQ
- Level 2 Leisure Operations - Active IQ
- Level 3 Leisure Management - Active IQ
Who are Apprenticeships for?
Apprenticeships are for new and existing staff. They are open to
- Age 16+ at the start of the programme
- Not be in Full-Time education
- Not hold a degree or HND qualification
- Not have completed a previous apprenticeship in the Leisure Industry
- Have lived in the UK/EU for the previous 3 years
Individuals with a Level 4 or above qualification, are not eligible to receive funding for an Apprenticeship.
How is training delivered?
The Apprenticeship programme may involve discussion with a designated Tutor Assesor and/or Employer, practical demonstration, assignment work, practical and theory assessments, online learning as well as offsite courses and workshops.
What are apprentice wages?
All apprentices are employed, and have a contract of employment. A minimum wage of £2.68 per hour. For a 12 month apprenticeship employment must be for at least 30 hours per week.
How do I apply for an apprenticeship?
To apply for an IoS Training apprenticeship you can apply for the position through our Swimming.org website or alternatively on apprenticeship.org .