About the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)
CIPFA is the world’s only professional accountancy body to specialise in public services. Our members work in both the public and private sectors and are valued for their distinctive specialism as well as technical and leadership skills. We firmly believe working for publicly funded organisations, accountable to taxpayers, is both challenging and highly rewarding. It can provide you with the opportunity to give something back and in return you could have a vibrant and fulfilling career.
'CIPFA launched me on the career path that got me to where I am today. The public sector is full of diverse and challenging roles.' Dennis Hone - Chief Executive, Olympic Delivery Authority
‘As an accountant, public finance is the most challenging, stimulating and rewarding environment that you could ever find yourself working in. No private sector company even comes close to the size and impact that finance has on the public service. So if you can make the grade in the public sector, you can do so anywhere.’ Tom Taylor, Director Finance and Performance, DEFRA
Where our members work
Our members work across the globe, often at the most senior levels and are highly influential. Organisations include the Olympic Delivery Authority – London, the United Nations - New York, the Arts Council England, the IMF – Washington DC, the British Council, the BBC and many, many more.
‘With CIPFA you are in an ideal position to make a positive difference in a major sector of the economy – with jobs on offer all over the world.’ Gordon Bird, Section Head, United Nations, New York
Gain the extra edge as a CPFA
Our members qualify through the CIPFA Professional Qualification the only professional accountancy qualification to teach and assess public sector accountancy techniques and requirements. This makes it highly relevant for the sector as well as for an accountancy career in the private sector, giving our members the extra edge.
On average the course takes three years to complete but if you have a relevant degree the course can take as little as two years to complete. The professional qualification is delivered in three levels: Professional Certificate, Professional Diploma and Strategic stage. Many employers offer time-off to study as well as cover some, if not all, of the costs of the qualification.
‘If you are thinking of studying with CIPFA, my advice is to go for it! The public sector gives you endless opportunities.’ Suzanne Flynn, Technical Advisor, IMF
Find out more
Visit www.cipfa.org/ to:
- read case studies of our students and members,
- watch our student blogs;
- sign up to our latest webinars;
- read more on our entry routes and exemptions
- get CV, job hunting and interview tips
- apply for trainee vacancies.
Training & Profiles
CIPFA offers you:
- a globally recognized accountancy qualification – and the designatory letters CPFA
- a successful and varied career – with the opportunity to work in both the public and private sectors in the UK and abroad
- the chance to make a real difference in the world – with a positive impact on peoples’ lives
- a well planned career path – unlimited scope for career progression.
- a qualification you can rely on – for life
- invaluable knowledge – including financial, management, strategy and leadership skills
- financial and personal rewards – the public sector offers great benefits packages with huge job satisfaction
There’s no end to the advantages that CIPFA can give you – choice, skills, job satisfaction, rewards and knowledge. Don’t settle for anything less when you can have it all with CIPFA.
Apply online via employers websites