About AskJules, who we are and what we do
AskJules assist disabled university students to recruit and employ PAs
to provide their personal care and student support. Our services help
those who require 24/7 support to become completely independent,
allowing them to take control of their university experience.
The concept of AskJules was created in 2008 when our founder Julie Pool
was helping her son, who suffers from Spinal Muscular Atrophy leave home
to go to university.
With Julie's support he achieved true independent living and enjoyed a
full student life. He lived independently in a lively student village
and employed his own team of PAs who provided 24/7 care and student
support for him.
It occurred to Julie that there were many young disabled adults who were
not experiencing true independent living. Not because of their
disability but because they were not in control of their care and
support. It was clear that there was a need for a Lifestyle Management
type of service for young disabled adults which would incorporate
everything that true independent living requires.
In the summer of 2010 Julie was asked to help her first client... and
AskJules was formed.
Information about training or qualifications provided
PAs are trained by:
- The client (student), they know what they need and how it should be
- The current PA or parent, they are doing the job now.
- Professional On-line training.
- Professional Specialist training – one to one, face to face (certain
You will be trained in every aspect of the student’s care; in the way
he/she likes things to be done. This will make you an expert in their
particular needs, however these positions are not care jobs in the
traditional sense of the word. Our clients are not recruiting carers.
Information about our typical vacancies
As a Personal Assistant, you will be an integral part of the student's
university experience. The primary role is to provide quality care and
academic support to our young clients at university and in some cases at
home during the holidays.
You will work under the direction of the student with support and
guidance of AskJules Ltd.
Students are wheelchair users and employ PAs to help with all the things
their disability prevents them from doing for themselves including
As a Personal Assistant, you will be required to:
- Work closely with the student, undertaking duties on a weekly rota
basis with the other members of the team.
- Duties will include personal care, academic and social support;
- Assist the student with administration tasks as required;
- Provide ‘on call’ cover for absent colleagues.
- Encourage the student to engage in clubs/activities and societies;
- Maintain good order, appearance and behaviour.
- Establish a productive relationship with the student, acting as a role
model and setting high expectations for their study and coursework;
- Assist the student with the organisation of events and
The exact duties will be agreed with successful candidates to make best
use of his/her skills and talents.
We offer two different types of employment, depending on our client’s
LIVE IN POSITIONS
As part of a team of 2 PAs you will usually be required to work 7 days
alternate weeks and be available to work between 8 and 10 hours per day.
The pay for these posts range from £910 to £1050 per week worked + over
time + 5.6 weeks paid holiday per year (pro-rata).
Accommodation for use whilst on shift will be provided, free of charge.
HOURLY PAID POSITIONS
As part of team of 4 full time PAs you will be required to work between
3 and 4 shifts each week, including week-end and nights shifts. Hours
of work are usually 7am to 7pm and 7pm to 7am.
The pay for these posts range from £12 to £15 per hour + over time + 5.6
weeks paid holiday per year (pro-rata)
CRIMINAL RECORDS SCREENING
All applicants must be prepared to undergo screening to confirm their
suitability to work with a disabled young person.
Benefits of AskJules and working for one of our clients.
Our philosophy is to enable our young disabled clients to live
independently by introducing like- minded PAs to support them in their
own home or student flat.
If you are looking for a really rewarding job then contact AskJules
today. Being a PA for one of our clients really is rewarding work; your
efforts will go a long way to ensure a young disabled student has the
best possible university experience
AskJules provide ongoing support to all PAs in the form of a
- Client Support Coordinator, who manages things for you and our client
- HR Department, to go to if things don’t go as expected.
- Payroll Department, who process your weekly pay.
- Professional Training.
- A well respected “Gap Year” job, future employers will applaud it.