by Ben on 13 December 2012 11:37

Good morning everyone!
I wonder what anyone might advise for me in this world of work? I am someone who has gone through the experience of great schooling, and worked the whole way through University to achieve the degree I strongly desired (graduated in 2010). Great! But what do you say to an employer and how do you approach them when the significance of this achievement is so difficult to explain? - see the thing is, I am Dyslexic. I have been aware of it, and received learning support for it from the age of 10 to finishing Uni at age 21. Lucky, lucky man.

I believe I should tell the truth about how I HONESTLY did work unbelievably hard and dedicated myself to climbing the Everest which was achieving a degree... But, in reality, is there anyone but me that will be able to accommodate a dyslexic individual in the workplace? An individual who has pushed through so many comfort zones - admittedly the same comfort zones as anyone else would have done going through the Higher Education process - but who still will need particular time and effort to work closely with people in the workplace that have their own lives to take care of...?

I have got decent work experience, I have volunteered, I have gone through interview processes, I have experienced life to the fullest capacities - is it just luck and coincidence as to whether one gets a job? Should I forget that I ever had dyslexia and do anything that arises? I can only be myself!!

Anybody else in a similar boat, or advise anything from their experiences? Warmly received.

by Daniel Tuitt on 16 December 2012 19:34

Hi there,

I also have Dyslexia so I completely understand how you feel. I am in my final year of university and should be on the way to achieving a 2.1. I just want to say that it is not easy to find a job with addition of having dyslexia but it is possible. I was able to secure a year long placement as well as work with IBM over the summer.

the best advise I can give you is to state that you have dyslexia on your applications, as it is becoming more common in this day and age. I am currently applying for graduate job and you need to go for it. within 4 months I have applied for over 40 graduate jobs and I only now starting to receive any positive responses.

I have have friend that has dyslexia and received a job offer with PwC in auditing. so its very possible.

kind regards

Daniel T
(so about any bad grammar)

by Matthew on 17 December 2012 11:06

this is a catch 22 they could not give you the job because behind closed doors they would think your not sutiable but you could get a job because employers can some time can get money from the govertment
i have dyslexia and my employers are not bothered

by Bill on 20 December 2012 11:54

I too graduated in 2010, and have Dyslexia and to be truthful I have never told a employer that I have. Unlike yourself I did not find out I was dyslexic until I was in the third year of university and I was a mature student (43 when diagnosed). I have had a successful career, rising to management without knowing I had dyslexia and when I was eventually diagnosed I was told that it was quite severe. My point being that yes I have dyslexia and you should state this in your applications, but if you have worked hard and academic and work experience prove that, that is what companies are looking for. Don't be disheartened it tough out there for anyone, you just have to try that little bit harder. Use career services to check your CV and seek advice.
Believe me there are plenty of people out there with dyslexia, one of my tutor's at university was dyslexic, and he is a very successful designer in his own right. I should never be a crutch.
And finally you can only be yourself.

by Sumaya Nakamya on 20 December 2012 12:51

Hi I also have dyslexia- just found out last year during my final post-grad research project.

I have to say that it was hard when I found out because my job requires me to write a lot of reports but, this did not stop me because I completed my masters and traineeship. I am not sure how employers take to this disability but on all my applications I have told them because it is important to be open....I have had interviews and so far I am still encouraged because I know and I am sure you know that dyslexia does not make you who you are. Therefore, keep going - don't look at it as an issue because if you do your employer is likely to also.

I hope all goes will
Sumaya

by Jack on 27 December 2012 04:21

Also Dyslexic. Worked so hard to get through law school my girlfriend's mom said I must be cheating on her. No one normal works that hard. It was just what I had to do with the dyslexia. That was over 20 years ago when there was not a lot of awareness about it.

I suggest that it is a slow reveal. Don't lead with it. And it may be something you can tell them after 6 months on the job, and you've proven yourself. Everyone in life has something...dyslexia, hypoglycemia, ADD, ADHD, insert life issue. If you paint college as nothing but a struggle, they will wonder if you'll do the same thing on the job. Remember as a pro (and you're going pro) you have to make it look easy.

As dyslexic, I read slower and write slower, but I don't get extra credit for the effort. But the gifts you bring as a dyslexic...the way you will connect things... the insights you will instantly get that others don't...that you will get credit for....people will pay you to be dyslexic. 20 years post law school, I still struggle with all the reading and writing (hate emails....hate them) ...but the gifts of dyslexia are appreciated and I realized I get paid for them. Good luck.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.