by Scott on 04 August 2011 12:59

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts aare bout the use of social media as a means to promote businesses etc? Does it really work?

by Lucy on 05 August 2011 10:33

Hey! I believe it is important. I think it is different depending on the size of this business, you will notice that bigger companies have a large following on Facebook and Twitter as their brands are huge. However, for smaller companies I think it is completely different depending on the industry. I think a lot of smaller companies also target their local area to build communities?

by Sai on 25 February 2013 17:19

I think it's important for businesses of any size because it has become the most cost-effective way to reach consumers! Large businesses often dont realise the potential social media has to acquire and retain customers. For small businesses I think Twitter would be the best tool to start with, but you need to Tweet at least twice a day for it to be effective!

by Mr Happy on 12 March 2013 22:30

the pitfall with social media is the return the company gets from using it as a medium.

the initial cost to manage and run the media content is minimal but the are costs.

a small company must have the capacity to handle the increase in enquires that are unlikely to have a return i.e. lots of people make an enquiry put don't purchase and this can be expensive if you business is more of personal service as time is a cost, rather than browse, click, purchase enterprise.

the influence of social media is by association so you need to manage that coherently and have an understanding of who your target segment is and what their characteristics are...

large organisation can afford to pay someone to just manage the social media side and due to economies of scale there customer services can handle an influx of enquires/perspective sales as the have that capacity

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.