by Bec on 16 October 2014 23:18

I am a recent graduate but am not actually qualified to do anything. I feel trapped in admin. I didn't enjoy my degree and found it has not been the slightest bit helpful, as it has not equipped me for the world of work. By contrast, the experience that I have experience in other areas (retail, mentoring, support work) does not hold me back.

Most jobs I see advertised for graduates with my degree are recruitment and/or sales based, which I am not suited for. Alternatively, there are also engineering posts advertised (which i am impressed with), but I am unfortunately not trained for any of them. I would really like to do a graduate scheme/job where i could be trained in technology or ergonomics but I have no idea where to look for graduate schemes/jobs that are for people with non-specified degrees. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been looking careers advice, but there isn't much out there for graduates to ask questions and my universities careers network was not at all helpful.

I greatly appreciate any help.

by Kirsty on 22 October 2014 13:41

Sorry this is no help to you but i am also in the same boat and just wanted to know if you have had any luck!

by Bec on 23 October 2014 21:31

No luck as of yet. I keep looking, but all I find is the same stuff. I'm really find it difficult to actually apply to vacancies, because of the reasons I described in my previous post. I really feel I need some guidance, but I have no idea where to look.

by Skyblue on 24 October 2014 18:37

Hi there,

I've recently graduated and have started the daunting and excruciating process that is applying to graduate schemes. What type of roles are you interested in pursuing? May I ask what your degree was in? The great thing about some graduates schemes are companies look for people from all different backgrounds that are willing to learn.

by Andy on 24 October 2014 20:33

What course did you take at university? That might help people direct you. If you are interested in the engineering roles there are routes into that should you not have taken it as a course of study at university, I know because I did exactly that.

by Tom on 27 October 2014 09:21

I know its not of much help to your current situation, but you aren't alone.

Two years out of uni and I am still finding it all a struggle.

One of the best ways I have found to change my chances is to start learning things I want to learn now that full time education/uni is over and I've got lots of spare hours.

It keeps me sane, I gives me the sense of being productive, I can enjoy learning and often as its free if I decide I don't like a subject/topic/language etc. I can move on.

Examples are: edx.org, www.coursera.org & futurelearn.com

Its not easy and it might never be, but we gotta play the cards dealt right? :)

Hope I have been of some help,

Good luck,

Tom

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.