by William James on 15 July 2014 15:11

Hi,

I finished a Masters degree in Business with Management in January 2013, officially graduating in July 2013, but have yet to gain graduate-level employment and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can advise on a few queries.

Prior to my Masters, I was working as an assistant administrator and having failed to gain relevant employment after my qualification, I was employed on a three-month temporary contract between April and June 2013 as a ‘contract services administrator’ and then subsequently as a ‘faculty support assistant administrator’ on another temporary contract through a recruitment agency.

I do intend on applying for numerous graduate programmes when they open for applications again in September 2014, but I was wondering how prospective employers would perceive the transition from a Masters degree to an administrator level and then to an assistant administrator level, which can be regarded as a step down?

At the moment I feel as though I can’t justify this transition and I am pigeon-holed in basic administration. I often find it difficult to apply for graduate roles whilst also working full time, which increases the length of time I am working within these roles and the difficulty of becoming employed in the procurement and supply chain management sector, which I aim to pursue as a career.

I am struggling to enter this field so was wondering if I still remain with a ‘graduate CV’ or opt for a ‘career change CV’ in future applications?

Do you think I will still be eligible to apply for a graduate scheme even though I completed my course in January 2013?

How do you think prospective employers would view my application for graduate programmes a year and half after my Masters course finished?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

by Ben Cookson on 17 July 2014 10:28

Hi William,

I think you might be reading too much into this. Firstly any experience is not a 'step down' or beneath your qualification; it actually tells prospective employers that youre willing and ready to work. Secondly, why put it off until September? Yeah, there are the big intakes (September and February) but there are many grad schemes taking on right now. Get applying! Even if not ideal, apply, and get the experience of selection processes.

You really need to cast off the negativity and get stuck in asap. Furthermore, whenever you apply be it this year, next, or even after that you can still apply for graduate schemes/positions. This is not restricted to new graduates or those about to graduate, your qualification does not lose value as time passes; its a tough market, not every one finds the ideal position immediately, in fact its very rare.

Start now, get stuck in, even if not your dream job; grad schemes are about dipping your toe in, gaining experience and training, and hopefully finding your niche! Best of luck!

Regards,

Ben

by sassy on 20 July 2014 13:49

Your masters does not mean anything to employers my friend. They are a lot of people out there with 3 or even 4 MSc but with no graduate jobs. Life is not about degrees at times its about oppotunities. HNC/HND graduates do not strugle finding employment while MSc grads stack shelves at Tesco.

by James_St on 21 July 2014 16:00

@ Sassy, Manchester

Firstly, a Masters degree does mean something to an employer. It shows you are intelligent, committed and willing to work towards achieving qualifications in a chosen field. If you have a Masters degree that does not entitle you to a Job, however along with industry experience and personality, a higher level of education (MSc, MA, etc.) is a key factor in gaining employment at a graduate level .

Secondly, there is not 'a lot' of people in the UK job market with 3 or 4 Masters degrees looking for work. That comment is simply not true.

@ William James, Newcastle

Keep gaining experience in whatever job you are doing until an opportunity presents itself. Keep applying for Graduate jobs in both large companies as well as SME's and you will succeed. Your current employment is of no detriment to your chances of getting one of your desired role, it is an advantage! It shows you are hardworking and willing to diversify until you find the right career.

by At on 21 July 2014 17:00

Hi Williams,

As a master student hopefully graduating this year. I strongly agree with William, why are you waiting till September, over the last month I have had 3 interviews for grad schemes starting in August - October, get applying asap.

And don't listen to comments like sassy putting your masters degree down - a degree is a very valuable tool but never discount your work experience it's just as valuable as your masters, use them both to supplement each other.

Your masters gives you the theoretical information you need to apply yourself in certain situations and your work experience gives you the ability to use that theory in a practical and relevant manner. Display these things at any of your interviews/assessments centres and you will get something but don't underestimate the job hunt, take it seriously and you will get somewhere.

Hope this helps.

At

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.