by Dan on 24 April 2014 12:55

I don't know if anyone is having the same problem but I'm finding it really tricky to crack verbal reasoning and numerical tests. It's happened a couple of times recently where I've got through the initial screening but get culled after these online verbal and numerical reasoning tests.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem or knew a way round it.
Anyone got any useful hints or tips for these things? Thanks guys!

by Dani on 25 April 2014 12:11

Hey sorry to hear that. I'm afraid some people like myself has a problem cracking it. The best companies use it to get the 'best' and 'smartest' candidates. It's harsh but my friend who past either were smart to begin with or practiced for months.
Personally, I have confronted companies about this test and told them that a high achieving individual doesn't guarantee that they will work better than an average student who can't beat your test. I say this because I have average grades but guess what I have more experience that my straight A friends, and I get more interviews than them. I believe that I am in a better situation.
I would suggest apply for companies that don't have these test otherwise you will never find a job in time. The last thing you want to do is end up in retail. I get lots of interviews of LinkedIn too.
Good luck with your search ??

by Dan on 28 April 2014 09:53

Hi Dani,

Thanks for that. I get what you mean, it does seem like there is little correlation between academic achievement and hard working skills, but rather verbal and numerical reasoning tests are a way to sieve candidates. To pass them you've just got to practice right?

What have companies said when you've asked them about the V & N reasoning tests?

by Dani on 29 April 2014 22:04

Hey Dan,

I haven't been practising to be honest, I have been applying for jobs on LinkedIn and others as some of them don't require any tests.

Some have told me that it is used to filter candidates as they want accuracy and speed. They told me to either practice or apply in the future for a 'normal' position.

It's very frustrating at times.

by Dan on 30 April 2014 11:19

Hi Dani,

I suppose it is a good way to filter candidates through accuracy and speed but I would argue that these sorts of tests are not going to be too relevant to the actual, don't you think?

The whole thing just seems like another hoop graduates have to jump through or another way to trim down the number of applicants.

It's the numerical ones that I'm really struggling with. But many of the roles that I have been applying for the focus isn't on numerical capabilities.

What do they mean by 'Normal Position'?

by Simon on 03 May 2014 10:18

I have been meaning to reply to this post for a while, sorry, just been busy.

I am facing the exact same problem. Almost all graduate jobs i've applied for require you to sit a numeracy test. Usually, you have to apply for the role, say why you're suited to it etc. I have pass rate of about 90% on that part. The second part is a situational awareness test - I seem to be passing most of those.

The issue is the numeracy test. I'm applying for computer science (related) schemes where numeracy wont be required in that amount of detail. I've worked in the IT industry before so I know what i'm talking about.

It's almost comical how these companies have got tests that are so far from what the job actually is. For example, I applied to be an IT Technician and I was being asked numeracy questions such as: "Out of the following 5 companies, predict which one will have the highest salary (in %) after 7 years". Now i'm sorry but...what does that have to do with being an IT Tech? It's irrelevant because I wont be dealing with working out salaries for other companies etc I'll be doing technical work for the X company.

It sucks. I'm actually starting to regret university big time. All I see it lots of debt, no job offers and I should have stayed working and not came. Sorry to be so pessimistic.

by Danielle on 04 May 2014 13:50

Dear Dan,

A normal job will be, for example an Accounts Assistant instead of a Graduate Trainee Accountant. I have a lot of experience in accounting but no company will take a graduate who can't past those test. Instead of applying for a graduate job, I'm just applying for Finance Assistant roles or an Accounts Assistant role. To be honest sometimes the pay is more, if you have experience.
Also, if you don't have enough UCAS points they throw out your application, an employee and lecturer told me that :-(

by Dorothy on 14 January 2015 11:26

Hi Dani,

How have you been getting jobs on LinkedIn? I dont seem to know what to do exactly. All the recruters and managers I have sent mails with my cv either dont respond or point me back to going to do one of their numerical online tests

HELP?!!

by Gradstrategy on 01 June 2015 18:39

Hi Dan,

I was in the same boat as you years ago. I always used to restrict my applications to CV submissions. Which in turn restricted my options...not good.

I think someone gave me the tip that you are not meant to finish them press but attempt as many questions as you can and make sure that the ones you complete are correct, rather than rushing to complete the test. Hopefully being confident with some of the answers will help you speed up.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.