by ClaireB on 15 February 2012 15:39

I have a classics degree but many people seem to think it is a pointless degree to choose and am finding it difficult to find a job.

My degree is extremely academic and have developed a lot of skills that employers seek (such as research and analytical skills) and yet they seem to still be put off! Have any of you had the same experiences out there and how have you coped?

by JohnsonS on 15 February 2012 15:42

Hey! I study Philosophy and have been applying to many marketing/pr roles. I have tended to emphasise my relevant work experience I have gained and like you say, the skills that relate to it. I have found this works to an extent, just taking a while but I think persistence is the key!

by Chris Thorn on 15 February 2012 15:44

I guess if you knew what you wanted to specifically do before going to uni, then doing a specific degree makes sense but if you don't and enjoy the learning aspects then this shouldn't mean you are put at a disadvantage?

by BB on 03 March 2012 09:34

'Research' and 'analytical' skills are really important, but as a university lecturer I can tell you that they are university terms a lot of employers don't understand. Some people will just roll their eyes and assume you just want to 'think' for a living. One of my colleagues recently said in a meeting that 'thinking' is a vital employability skill - our industrial partner next to him just laughed and said 'doing is pretty good too'.

Universities don't do students any favours by thinking they 'own' language - we should be preparing students for life in the real world.

Get hold of the job spec and person profile and use the employer's language. I'm sure you'll find that if you break 'research' and 'analysis' down, they contain elements that will help you tick lots of the boxes that HR want ticked. (Sorry to be that cynical, but that's how employment works in most industries).

Good luck!

by Ryan on 21 August 2012 09:34

I have just finished a degree in Psychology.
It isn't 'non-specific' as such but unless you want to go into postgraduate study (which I don't!) it seems to be broad and not really lead to anything.

Has anyone else got the same problem? I know geography and history students can offer suffer the same fate.

by Rob Summerfield on 22 August 2012 12:34

I graduated with a degree in Psychology a year ago now. I don't really want to do post graduate study either right now, I want to do!! I am tempted by Educational Psychology but not at the moment.

Typically Psychology graduates enter Market Research companies, or some work in Human resources. Human resources is paid quite well. Market research is quite interesting.

I haven't had much luck though, I have had a few non grad jobs just to wet my appetite really. I worked at Waterstones for a bit, working in Hospitality for an agency at the minute, I tried a tele sales job but didn't last long, I seem to have some performance anxiety so not really suited to high pressure environments really. Really tempted to just rack up some money and go travelling right now, not going to lie. Hmmm ....

by Ryan on 23 August 2012 11:59

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. I didn't realise that a lot of Psychology graduates went into Market research? Why's that? I was aware that HR was quite a popular destination and there are some really great HR graduate schemes out there, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Are there any other common destinations for a Psychology graduate? I am struggling to think of ideas at the moment!

Thanks,

Ryan

by Joyce on 31 August 2012 16:33

I have also just graduated with a Psychology BSc degree and to be honest, after all that hard work I don't want to do a post graduate degree! Thing is.... I enjoy helping young people but there doesn't seem to be a lot of jobs going for people that want to do that. I keep seeing business and HR stuff which I'm not really interested in so it's a bit unfortunate. However, I believe something will turn up! I can't be unemployed after graduating with a good degree! If anyone comes across any charities that helps the youth (because they definately need it) please post and let me know =)

Thanks

J

by Scottish Graduate on 12 November 2012 20:09

Preparing students for life in the real world! COULD NOT have said it better myself. I studied politics and I was always aware of the fact that I would not walk into a job with this degree so I did copious amounts of marketing work experience. When offered a job in Glasgow upon graduation I thought' pffft no jobs.....what are they talking about check me out''...I was SO wrong. The pay was atrocious and the prospects minimal. I am not joking when I say I was made the coffee for the guy who made the tea!!

I have been thinking or starting a 'hub' where students and graduates can learn from one another how important it is to realise your degree is NOT A TICKET TO THE BOARDROOM!

I have a facebook page called Now What? dedicated to providing students with information about what they can be doing to help themselves

Let me tell you why I believe this is ESSENTIAL. I went to career advisor in 2nd year who changed my life. She told me to do work experience like it is going out of fashion so I did....I interned for FREE for a company for THREE YEARS....while working part time and studying. When the internship finished I went to Glasgow but always kept in touch with my old bosses. Upon hearing I was coming home they asked me to go in and meet them and offered me a sales and marketing director role in their new venture!! An opportunity of a life time that started with a voluntary placement during which I entered business card details into a laptop!!!

RELEVANT Work experience is essential ...a degree is not enough.

If you hear what I am saying send me a message on my new page.....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Now-What/495598487137668

My name is Laura and I'd love to hear from you!

by V on 14 November 2012 09:01

I studied English and Creative Writing, which a lot of people roll their eyes at, as they think it meant sitting in a circle reciting poetry and getting in touch with nature! (Ok so we only did that SOME of the time :P) In actual fact I learnt a lot of marketable skills such as writing for different audiences, editing, proof reading, analytical skills etc. After a few months of unsuccessfully applying for jobs, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity for unpaid work experience at two different companies. I actually feel like this was more valuable than my degree, as it means I finally have the magical holy grail that is ~*~relevant experience~*~

I would advise anyone if they can afford to spend a couple of months doing unpaid work, to talk to friends and family and try and get some unpaid work experience in an office environment, even if it's just for a few weeks. That way, you can demonstrate to future employers that you do have what it takes to work in a professional environment despite your non-specific degree. Plus you'll hopefully get some good references out of it, and build up some more connections.

I actually would rather have my 'pointless' degree than a business oriented degree that would mean you have very little choice of career and are stuck doing that one job even if you find out you really hate it. It is very hard work convincing people that we are just as qualified as those who did specific degrees, but I like to think it will pay off by allowing us to be a bit more versatile.

by Aimee on 22 November 2012 10:07

I have an BA English and am doing a MA in Medieval and Renaissance Studies (history/English etc.) but I am trying to go into consulting. I'm just looking for graduate schemes that do not ask for a specific degree and try to see how my skills transfer to what they are looking for. Just think about societies you were involved with, sports any summer jobs you might have done...

Prospects.ac.uk has certain degree files which name the most common industries graduates go into. They also have some personality quiz which matches you with possible jobs. The only downside is that you quite often get matched with things like civil engineering (one of the few jobs you actually need an engineering degree for).

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.