by Petegwood on 01 October 2013 14:42

There’s a lot of this sort of talk going on at the moment, and no doubt there are freshly squeezed young graduates who are currently clinging to any buoyant piece of debris drifting from the shipwreck they call University.

It was pointed out to me recently that this top-heavy generation of graduates was predicted a while ago. A vast number of twenty somethings with degrees, therefore essentially ‘downgrading’ the achievement of getting a degree, and putting a Masters into the position a traditional BA was in. A downward shift if you will.

I was recently interviewed regarding this subject as a student who had recently completed their studies and not found full time work. When asked a multitude of questions it seemed like the interviewer was looking for some sort of resentment or disfavour towards the University. I do not have that, I did not go to University to get a specific job afterwards, I went to University because I wanted to study Creative Writing and Human Rights, yes I hoped I would get some ideas about possible career moves to follow, but I did not expect the University to hand me a wage and a pension scheme as soon as I finished my studies.

Full Article: http://tinyurl.com/qenbwb3

by IMaduka on 17 October 2013 20:30

Yes this is pretty much how I feel about it as well. Mind you, I went into University with academia in mind so maybe I'm fortunate not to have had envisioned getting a high paying job straight after graduation. As with many of my friends who also didn't find work immediately after graduating (some with much better grades than mine), I went into University to get a deeper understanding of a subject I am fascinated with and have left with skills that I can use to forge my own path, which - for me personally - is great, even if it can be a bit tough sometimes!

by ann etim on 25 October 2013 15:31

my issue is the lack of corporate social responsibility positions out there. Major firms claim to be ethical yet combine csr with either communications or marketing, however it should be a department on its own.

its a shame that most csr positions are that of senoir exceutives/ managers with job descriptions that even recent graduates can take on.But the enemy experience takes the shine leaving the graduates with nothing and old folks with less brillant ideas with something.

Think companies should wake up we go to uni to acquire knowledge therefore if we dont get employed by you, we will never get the experience of putting the knowledge to work.

stop the use of on-line testing dont make sense to me really a face-to face interview with sensible questions should enough for you to judge how much passion and drive one has for your company.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.