by Rob on 06 September 2013 14:51

Hi guys!

I've just graduated with a Desmond in Politics from Manchester and I am now assessing my options.

I was wondering what your experiences of small companies/SMEs (small to medium enterprises) are?

There's been a bit in the news about them being quite a good alternative, just didn't know what to make of them. Bit of an unknown entity.

I didn't manage to get anywhere with the bigger grad schemes at IBM or Mott McDonald so wasn't sure what to do next.

Advice? Anyone? Pllleeassseee?

by Brian on 12 September 2013 13:38

Hi Rob,

After graduating in 2011 I went straight into work with a well known TNC, not on a graduate scheme but an entry level job. I was delighted at the time to get a role with a such well renowned brand and couldn't wait to start my career. However, one year on I just couldn't wait to get out of the role. A severe lack of training and complete management incompetency left me no option but to look elsewhere, I was just so fed up of being treated like dirt.

I never considered small companies previously but saw an advert online for a company with roughly 10 employees and decided to apply. The interview process was great, two interviews with the directors and went out for drinks after the second to meet the rest of the staff. One year on I have learnt many new skills, become a better all-rounder and have so much more responsibility than when I was working at the TNC where your are merely doing one role. As a reward for my hard-work the company is sending me on some expensive training courses (always a big risk for small companies) but its great to feel appreciated again and actually build on some of the skills learnt during education.

So from my experience I would definitely recommend looking at SMEs in your area.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.