by James on 27 August 2013 17:17

I'm currently doing research into unpaid internships out there and was wondering about other people's experiences. What it worth it? Did you feel cheated? Did it lead to a job?

There has been a lot in the press recently about interns suing companies they worked for and I have my own horror story, just wanted to see if I wasn't alone!

by Colin Leatham on 28 August 2013 20:33

Hi,

It has nearly a year since i left university and my job at the Olympics. I have had very little help from the University and Job Centre since finishing. Recently a opportunity came to work at Liverpool Airport, but only as a volunteer. I am annoyed that i have a degree and yet forced to whore myself out as a volunteer (4 hours a week) to work at a multi-million pound company for free. I know people will be saying that you will be getting experience while in the process, i bet the people who say that have jobs. I do find it shocking that people with low or high degrees are being side lined, and with not to be on job seekers.

Did you sue your company? (Only if its not to intruding)

by Nas on 29 August 2013 17:45

I graduated back in 2010 and have since volunteered in a number of companies to gain experience and learn new skills. I also have been trying really hard to get a graduate level position.

One of the company I volunteered with didn't pay me my travel expenses, lunch expenses and instead asked me to buy things for them. They didn't listen to me, disrespected and treated me very bad. When I told them that I longer wish to volunteer with them, they accused me of verbal abuse.

another company I volunteered with also treated me bad. They also didn't pay me for my travel expenses and lunch. I spent so much money whilst working there. The manager was so bad that he asked me to buy things for him and pay his bills. when I refused he started treating me bad.

I've had a very bad experience with people and companies. I feel very hopeless. I have tried and worked really hard but am finding very hard to get my foot in the door. I can't volunteer any more and feel very depressed.

by Colin Leatham on 02 September 2013 17:41

It is shocking how graduates are getting treated.

by God on 03 September 2013 13:55

God, you are all such whiners!

Waaaah, I did a degree why wont anyone hire me, Waaaaah waaaaaaaaaaah!

Firstly learn how to form sentences correctly and you might be in with a better shot. There is an abundance of graduates and a dearth of jobs, therefore you better be able to back your education up with something meaningful or you are in trouble.

Pro-tip, whining on jobs boards helps noone.

by James on 03 September 2013 17:46

@Nas I'm really sorry to hear that story, however in fairness, I have had some really good experience with internships!

I have done two undergraduate internships one at a big, and another at a small company, and they have both given me invaluable experience and connections.

I think it's essential to make sure before hand that you will AT LEAST be paid travel expenses. Anything less than that is slave labour!

by Mon on 04 September 2013 23:25

What a silly question. Of courseeeee they do. I am studying finance and what you learn in the industry is faaaar from what you learn in classrooms. NEVER put what your lecturers spit out on a pedestal its wayyy better to learn from professionals in the industry.

And what do you mean slaving away for FOUR HOURS!!! FOUR?!?!? I do my internship 4 days a week and then I go and work at the weekend. And I usually have a pile of stuff on my desk with tight deadlines to meet and then sometimes I go to work and do a late shift until 11 and have to be up by 7am!!! I dont get paid for mine but atleast I know when im done I can walk straight into 90% of jobs i apply for and i still got time at uni. Im being hounded by these two companies that always leave voicemail on my phone. Majority of the interns i work with work 4 days(you need a rest day) and then 2 on the weekend in retail for income

Employers dont give two hoots about your uni and you only use like 10% of what you learn in uni. Im in my first year and I work with graduates and they are def not the smartest tools in the shed but im a first year and im already helping out with audits, payments etc etc. The more you deviate from lecturers the better you will be. Uni is nothing but an english/comprehension lesson. Who can quote the best and who can be the best teachers pet and therefore get decent marks.

Why would you not want to learn from someone in industry??????

Get your soft hands dirty

by Nas on 05 September 2013 15:52

@James, I know there is some good companies out there but when I graduated I was keen to get experience quickly in my area, improve my self-esteem and self confidence. I didn't want to sit at home doing nothing and waiting for my ideal job.

I learned something from my bad experience and turned it into positive.

I am not complaining and whining. I am a hard worker and will keep trying for my ideal job. I believe there is always a reason why bad things happen.

by Jack on 07 September 2013 15:30

I've just completed an unpaid internship at Belkin International Inc.

For me I couldn't have asked for better experience and exposure in a multi-national organisation. I got to meet and talk with business leaders and the management team on a regular basis and I also got to go to their Amsterdam office. I got given so much exposure and responsibility for someone who isn't being paid a salary and the experience there was invaluable. So much so that I'm actually going back (unpaid) during my third year at university to job shadow and work with the Operations Director.

Fair enough I got my expenses paid, but the whole experience was brilliant. I don't think we are really in a position to turn away opportunities, paid or unpaid. As long as you're learning the correct skills you're winning all day long.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.