by jake93bee on 29 July 2013 21:48

I've probably done about 15 job applications in the past few months. Ive never once had any sort of info about my applications other than standard emails fired off automatically. Nothing about interviews or, why I've been rejected for interview its just feeling a bit pointless. Why cant somebody give me some sort of application update or date when I might be told something positive or negative...it all just seems to go into a blac hole. It would be nicer if the treatment was a bit better.

by Veronika on 02 August 2013 09:21

15?

Usually people apply for about 150-200 jobs and hear back from around 3 of them so you still have a few more to go. Good luck :)

by Andrew Williams on 01 July 2014 19:30

Are you just starting out? The biggest problem for a recent graduate is the lack of experience - but unless you get a job, how do you get experience?

I was unemployed for a couple of years after leaving University. I got the odd crappy job here and there that I couldn't stand, I lasted a full four hours as a door to door salesman and I despaired of ever getting anywhere. I finally got a job in the typing pool of my local constabulary, and after a few years of proper employment I've never had any major problems finding a job since. Once you have that initial experience, it gets a lot easier.

Your best bet is to get some experience - even if it's not formal employment. I padded out my applications with my volunteer work for a local charity shop and my writing for an online game review site. Neither of them paid me anything, but it made my CV look less bare and demonstrated I could talk to people and write. Have you tried the local supermarket? They always want shelf stackers to work the night shift. Sound dreadful? Not the career you want? Do it anyway. You don't have to stay there long, just long enough to make you seem more employable.

But seriously, good luck. And Veronika isn't being entirely facetious, either - fifteen applications should be at least a weekly target.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.