by Tony on 02 July 2013 17:36

I graduated this year and I've been umm-ing and err-ing over whether to do a masters or not.

I have friends who have done them and really enjoyed the experience but then they've struggled to get a job just as much as a normal grad but with lots more debt!

I also worry that the only reason some people do Masters is so they can delay the job search for another year.

I suppose what I want to know is whether anyone has a positive experience of doing a Masters and then landing a good graduate job because of it??

by daniel on 03 July 2013 10:00

its a waste of time

by Asif Rashid on 04 July 2013 13:53

A Masters will help you but its not necessary. It also depends on what subject the Masters is. If you can get experience in the field you want to work that is really valuable.

by Sam on 04 July 2013 15:50

Same predicament as me. But I am also not sure what course to take. I spoke to a lecturer and I have decided to try find a job in industry for a year before going back in a years time to get a Masters as I wish to do one for other reasons than career. By going into industry I will know what course to take and have been told I will benefit more from the course after some experience.

by Asif on 04 July 2013 18:22

if you want to play safe what you can do is apply for a teaching course in 2014 and give yourself a year to find a job you really want to do. IF you get a job then you can forget the course but if you don't you have a teaching qualification to fall back on. Teaching is the most stable and secure job in the UK. Plus after a few good years you can earn 40k+

Thats the strategy i am following anyway.

by Kechi on 08 July 2013 17:49

I did a masters in Health Psychology and it was definitely useful for my field. Without it I probably wouldn't have got the job I have now.
Lots of people ask me if my masters was worth it. I would say do a masters if you are using it to get into a career. Don't just do one for the sake of it. You won't enjoy it and it won't get you anywhere, just more debt. Unless you have lots of money and lots of time.

by Lucky on 09 July 2013 08:12

If you have a 1:1 or 2:1 you do not need a masters. There are other things that you can not do without like if you are going to teach you must do your PGCE. Otherwise you should just chill at home and carry on searching /applying.

by Lyn on 09 July 2013 16:45

I completed a Masters and I would say it was worth it personally and professionally. I felt an great sense of achievement plus I further developed my academic skills- even though I achieved a 1st class degree I also progressed so much more through doing a Masters and therefore, better prepared for eventually doing a PHD.

I am lecturing now whilst doing a PGCE and for any one who wants to teach post 16 it creates more opportunities, as one requires a qualification higher than the level one wishes to teach. Therefore, be able to teach degree courses, and as more colleges are running degrees on behalf of the universities there is more opportunities for those who hold a Masters.

However, whether it is worth it or not depends very much upon what you want to get out of it and which direction you want to go- every one is different.

If you really enjoy academia then you will enjoy a Masters and therefore, it will be worth while.

by Melanie Bantting on 14 July 2013 12:02

I don't think so, employers look for experience. I have a degree and I think its pretty much useless to be honest. You need to have the appropriate experience. I would have been better moving through jobs gaining experience than getting a degree. Although it depends, a medical degree or law degree is perhaps necessary for those jobs, so yes a masters for them would be great, but like for Drama - no lol.

by Luke on 04 December 2013 23:21

Depends on the subject I guess... I have a masters in History with merit and it's a complete joke. Absolute waste of time. I was the only person doing my specific course so it was lonely, boring and depressing. I had hoped to have a good time and meet some like minded people. Oh no. The others who were taking the other option were a mixed age from early 20s up to 40s, so a real mixed bag.

by Natalie on 06 December 2013 10:06

When it comes to a Masters you get out what you put in. I spent a year working before I started my MSc and thank god i did! By the time September came around, I couldn't wait to start the learning process again. Unfortunately due to my lack of money I did also have to work 3 nights a week in a call center as well as doing a full time MSc. For these reasons, I would suggest anyone who is strapped for cash but desperate to have a post grad qualification, to do one part time. I missed out on a lot of evening seminars and social events due to my work schedule. However I had a set career path in mind when I chose my course and I am now working in the job I had aimed for as a direct result of having an MSc. Its a massive commitment as you will be paying your loan back for at least 5 years if you require the full amount.

by Mike D on 10 December 2013 12:12

A masters after graduating??? The million dollar question...

It really depends on your field.. on what you really want to do right now... get into the job game and start archiving in Box the marketing projects someone else has designed :-) Mind you, my oldest brother started the same way filing papers (yeah pieces of papers into filing cabinets that would soon be part of the past).

Its what i am doing right now, im working for a solar power company (yeah) in marketing (double yeah) but Im the new guy and spend most of my time in Box archiving the creative material some other "super cool creative" has done and left in hanging around.

What I mean to say.. is that nevertheless I am happy with where I am cause this is proving to be a strong learning experience and having your foot in the door is the best possible start, and maybe they hired me cause I was qualified enough but not overqualified (ie someone with a masters)... And you can always move up within the company or find something better but it´s always key to get that first proper job description with a real reference (not your granny) in your CV... my thoughts are a masters really is more vocational and I plan to do one later on in my career once I get more experienced in my field.

Sorry for the first (long) post guys... I will try and keep it short and simple in future posts.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.