by jenniedwog on 09 February 2012 07:58

So i graduate in a few months and ive been job hunting since last September. Ive had an okay response, couple of interviews but no offers. Im quite positive but if I get to April and no job i'll have to consider other options like travelling or a Masters.

I want to go travelling for a year but here is my dilema which is making me hesitate...if I go travelling for 12 months and come back wont I just be just competing with a fresh batch of graduates for jobs in 2013? has anyone here been travelling and found this to be the case?

i've asked mates and they have just said 'do it'.

maybe i should stop worring a bit.

by Matt on 09 February 2012 11:02

I graduated in July 2010 and was stuck in a supermarket working part-time, I was in the same boat as you, looking for work, had a couple of interviews but no luck. In October 2010 I decided to do a TEFL and teach in Thailand, I spent 6 months there. It was the best decision.
It doesn't matter if you stay home or travel at the moment, theres going to be a lot of people looking for work. I'm hoping to go back to Thailand in April and do more travelling, I think you should do the same.

by Rob Hulse on 09 February 2012 16:38

Go Traveling! I graduated in 2009. Took a year out, came back couldn't find a job so ended up going to India volunteering helping to build an eco hotel in Goa. Looks great on the CV and had an amazing time. Back in the UK now, still hunting for jobs but I am in no worse situation than I was this time last year or the year before. If you don't do it now you never will!

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.