by Ryan on 06 June 2013 17:09

Hi,

I'm just coming to the end of my 2nd year and everyone from my nan to this site keeps telling me that I HAVE to spend this summer doing work experience. I'm not so sure.

I've read loads about internships being important when I'm searching for jobs but I know a few people who have done them and they are still finding it hard to get graduate roles.

Has anyone done an internship and actually found it beneficial when getting a graduate job? Or is it all just media hype?

Any advice would be great.

by Steve on 07 June 2013 14:53

Internships are completely worth it.

I did one in the summer between my second and third year and continued my dissertation with the company.

In the end I got a job offer from them before I had even graduated. Having an internship can be the difference between struggling to find a job for months on end and walking straight into one, even if the job is not exactly what you wanted it gives you a leg up and experience towards your next step.

by max on 07 June 2013 16:13

Do one!

You may know people who did one and still find it hard, but unfortunately it's hard for everyone to get a graduate role! So why make things more difficult for yourself? Start getting experience under your belt as soon as possible.

I graduated with a First and have found it hard to find work (granted I did a Social Sciences degree... If you have a younger sibling considering one, warn them off now!). I left with little work experience apart from part-time jobs in shops and supermarkets. The summer before I started uni, I worked for a week as Admin in a small business run by a family friend to help out, and having that on my CV probably helped more than any other. Since finishing, I've managed to get into a few internships, but to be honest I would've been just as qualified to do them before I had my degree.

My biggest regret is not having done relevant work, beit a summer internship or getting a part-time admin job. I slaved to get a First but ignored the importance of experience. The friend I went with to collect my university results ended up getting a 2:2, but he's gone on to get a job in the city off the back of his summer job.

by Lily on 07 June 2013 16:56

NO- complete waste of time - you literally do not need more than a weeks work experience. Internships are essentially cheap labor for employers

by Ola on 09 June 2013 17:15

Hi

Its true about doing just a few weeks placement work experience. They don't need to be lengthy. Where I did my work placement, the now graduate recruitment assistant, started as a work experience candidate and ended up going the extra mile and he gained entry as a permanent staff as a job was created for him. Just getting a foot in the door as they say is the whole solution as anywhere you go and they like your work, they are most likely to retain you. But sometimes maybe you would not start the very type of role you want, but at the end it pays off.

by Graduate Midlands on 23 November 2014 15:21

Yes they are worth it.

It's true that after getting the experience you will still find it difficult. However, you are better with the experience than without it. It will make things even harder if you do not do it.

Like others said it does provide you with greater chances and give you a vital chance to potentially secure an opportunity with the employer. It also gives you connections with others helping to secure a job.

I wanted to do an Internship in the past and never managed to get one. Went for a Masters and still found it difficult to get a job due to lack of experience. If I had an internship before I'm positive it would of been easier. I came out with a Masters and couldn't find work and went to do volunteer work and managed to get some experience to boost my CV which helped me improving the responses. It also shows that you are serious and use your spare time wisely in an attempt to secure a job for your future. Some employers might also doubt if you really want the job but if you done an internship related tot he job then you can relate that you know t is the career you want. It shows you take the initiative and hard working.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.