by Tania on 08 May 2013 22:01

Hi Eveyone,

I graduated with an MSc last October and have been struggling to find work in my home country since then(due to the horrible recession). I studied my undergraduate degree in the UK (2.1) and I have been trying my best in applying for jobs all over the UK. At the moment, I have applied to over 60 jobs and have had no reply. Is this due to the fact that I am not living in the UK? I understand for job interview purposes why a compnay may not want to proceed with the recruitment process, but friends of mine have had job interviews over the phone and on skype, so I personally don't see it as a barrier. What can I do on my behalf to make recruiters more willing to proceed with my application form? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by Claire on 09 May 2013 09:49

Hi Tania,

I am actually in a similar situation to you except that I actually studied in a non-UK university (in a non-EU university in actual fact), although I have been on exchange in an EU Country since January. I am going to graduate in May and have also been applying for jobs in the UK (despite not living in the UK).

Generally speaking, the selection process for most graduate schemes includes an assessment centre, which contains a range of assessment activities including exercises which require to interact with other graduates. As such, employers want to ensure that you are able to attend these assessment centres in person (and may not consider your application as seriously if you are unwilling to attend the assessment centres). I think that the most important thing is to make it clear that you are willing to travel over to the UK to attend an interview (provided that they are willing to reimburse your travel expenses of course). With regards to reimbursement of travel expenses, you may be surprised as to how generous companies may be with regards to the reimbursement of travel expenses (and some companies have reimbursed my travel expenses up to 150 pounds). Also, you are likely to create a more favourable impression with employers, as you essentially demonstrate how much you want the job by flying over for an interview.

From my experience, it's very important to emphasise that you would be willing to attend an interview (and in some cases I have even stated my willingness to travel for an interview in the additional information sections of application forms). In addition, from what I have seen at assessment centres, there have been other people from the EU who have also flown in for the assessment centres aside from me, so don't worry too much about it. It's definitely possible to get a job in the UK, even if you are applying for an EU country (as in your case).

Good luck! I hope you find the job you want.

Claire

by Stathis on 10 May 2013 04:23

tonia where are you from?

by ANDREI BUNESCU on 11 May 2013 18:34

Hi

I live in Bucharest, Romania, graduated the university in Romania and I will soon finish a MBA in London, University of Wales.

I also applied for tens of jobs in UK, but not even a single interview.
Is it due to the restriction for the Romanians to work in UK by 2014 or because I haven't graduated the university in UK?

Andrei

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.