by Ian on 03 March 2013 13:43

Hello everyone

I Graduated July 2012 with a Third in BSc Honours Project Management. I am looking for a career change as I currently work For M and S in operations. However looking on this website I noticed that most employer arte looking for a 2:1 or above for their schemes. This is disheartening to me as I feel I could do the job but don't want to apply as I dont meet the grade. Could any one advise me on which path I should take.

by Marks McUbe on 04 March 2013 16:48

Hi Ian
Dont be disheartened you are not the only one in such a situation, I graduated in 2010 with a second class in Construction and Project Management and I have been looking for a job since then. I dont know exactly what keeps me going but I have never looked back. I keep myself busy by doing short couses which I hope will help when I finaly get a job.

by James on 05 March 2013 14:56

Hey,

I got a 2:2 (graduated in 2009), and found the same thing but to be fair it is my fault for now finding this out before going into my final year. If I did look at schemes in my first and second years, I think I would of try harder to get that 2:1. Instead I was happy to get my 2:2, thinking I could get a job as I had a degree.

What I did is worked for a SME in a trainee management role rather than go for a larger graduate recruiter. I was lucky, as they trained me up and now after doing a bit of traveling am looking for another role (but have the work experience now).

I would say don't look at the large companies with graduate schemes, it will only upset you - you are not getting in! Look out for PM roles in SMEs, I found my first role here!

Good luck.

by massy on 07 March 2013 21:24

Hello all
I am qualified in Accounting with 2.1. But it is nearly one year that I'm looking for a job. Whats the point of being a quaified. So depressed about that I don't know to carry on for professional papers or. I always wanted to be professionl tax accountant. All I'm saying is that, it is not about degree.

by Benji on 08 March 2013 22:12

Hi all,

I completely agree with what James said. Although I am still looking for a job myself 7 months after graduating, I definitely think my chances are higher with SMEs rather than the larger companies. Hopefully will hear something back soon. Don't be disheartened and don't give up applying everyone!

by AnnaClaire on 09 March 2013 01:49

Rather than graduate schemes or graduate jobs try looking for higher apprenticeship. I know it's not the same but it's a good place to start. Pay isn't to bad (seems to vary) and it gets you experience, more qualifications and a chance of a job at the end. Not applied for any yet as am still at uni, but I thought it might be helpfulb

by massy on 10 March 2013 01:24

Hello
I did apply for work experience, voluntary, internship,any position with paid or not paid even. But nobody respond me back. I also call them but...

by Elsa on 10 March 2013 22:32

Massy,a bit of advice if I may, perhaps you need to polish your grammar and spelling a little bit, because potential employers might be put off by spelling mistakes in an email/letter.All the best.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.