by Will on 27 January 2012 14:29

Hi All,

I'm just after a bit of advice on how to pursue a career in the finance and accounting industry. I graduated 2 and a half years ago with a degree related to finance and i have a years work experience working as a management accounts assistant. Following research, i have come across courses for AAT or ACCA qualifications. Basically, I want to get started with one of these but I would like to hear from other people who have taken/know about these courses, and any advice on which one i should really consider would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Will

by Daz on 27 January 2012 16:52

Hi Will, I am sort of in a similar situation as you but have actually been looking to work and get qualified with the ACA. There's a few trainee chartered account role's on the site which includes studying towards the ACA etc which is ideal. Just a head's up!

by daniel on 12 February 2012 23:02

Will,

Accountancy is divided into two main types. You can do management accounting or chartered accounting. You mentioned already doing management accounting? Is the distinction clear to you and do you know which one you want to do? This will affect the body you go with. The ones you mentioned are just chartered accounting bodies.

To get the qualification, you need to have a relevant job. Some positions will put you through a course - if so, it may be irrelevant which body you want to get registered with. So, you best try and secure a job which is advertising for trainee accountants. They'll usually be specially designed to help you pass your exams and give you the relevant experience.

So essentially, you need to decided if you want to do management or chartered accounting. And then find a job. Which will lead onto getting a professional qualification.

by Francis Botelho on 17 March 2012 16:22

hi all ,

my name is Francis i have graduated in the field of Finance (Bachelors degree), i am a part qualified ACCA (F1, F2, F3, F4) .i have also done My MBA from University of Wales Cardiff .

i have worked in the hotel industry as a auditor and right now i am working as a senior auditor for another hotel , i am looking forward to switch sectors and getting back to Banking or finance , even a starting or graduate role would be of real help if i could venture into the Banking or finance field .

Could any one suggest or give me any career tips

Kind Regards

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.