by Lucy Ryan on 18 January 2013 15:34

Everything I've read about the 2013 graduate job market is that without work experience you haven't got a hope in hell of getting a job this year.

That's all well and good but how do we get the experience!?

I know its not an original argument but this creates a huge catch-22 situation - we can't get our first job because we don't have experience and we can't get experience because they wont give us our first job!

I would love to know if anyone has found a solution to this age old problem?

by christopher on 21 January 2013 08:08

Dear Lucy Ryan

the best thing that i have found you can do is to try and get a summer job if that does not succeed try doing some with out pay this show that you have try to go and get the experience whilst not being paid. also a lot of degrees offer placement years winch again will be very helpful to you

hope this help

by Kayla on 21 January 2013 16:17

I agree that this whole experience situation can be a real catch 22! One thing that worked well for me is to be really involved in the social aspect of university/school - being involved in clubs or societies, student newspapers/magazines or the student's union, maybe being a course representative or something similar. It can be time-consuming, but it still gave me a lot of transferrable skills to mention in interviews and applications, with the benefit of being able to fit it around my studies and doing something I was interested in. I'm convinced I would never have got a summer internship last year without this experience.

by Nick Jensen on 22 January 2013 06:22

At the age of 34 this year I am still experiencing similar problems, although I am changing careers. Volunteer work is the best way to remedy this situation. It will also allow you to make contacts for future networking opportunities. In essence, you need to show that you are resilient, motivated and effectively, flexible.

I was an academic advisor for ten years in Media before being made redundant and often found that it was an attitude that stopped people's progress, I'm not saying you are like this, it just happens to be a general malaise that graduates think that the world owes them a living - it does not, as nobody ever gets anything for free it takes hard work, dedication, persistence and a bit of pride.

I also suggest you try local employment agencies and finally and if necessary be prepared to move your life and start again in a new location, something else I did when I took myself to America for 2 years.

Good luck!

by Success on 22 January 2013 21:02

Volunteering is the best option

by Kath on 24 January 2013 09:33

Volunteering is the way to go. I had a small amount of experience after uni but since coming back from a gap year I am out the loop again! I have just secured my ideal job, 20 mins from me....the only problem is its voluntary. I know its tricky but I'm hoping with my part time job I can survive to get the necessary skills I need to get back on the career ladder.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.