by Natalie on 14 December 2011 15:31

I read a BBC article today about the number of students that are funding their uni education through prostitution!! Surely the government can do something better so it doesn't come to this!? It also says that more students are gambling to raise money too - I actually know someone that does this and lost a lot of money from it, its really bad! If you cant rely on family or the government, what can you do?

by Daniel on 14 December 2011 17:42

not go to uni if you don't have the money?

by Sarah on 14 December 2011 17:51

I'm not sure thats the point! Why should someone be disadvantaged like that and not be able to go to uni because of the fees!? They surely deserve to have support. I think society in the UK feels they have to go to uni to stand any chance of a career..whether that is right I don't know..

by Alison on 14 December 2011 18:20

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. I was classed as a student from "a low income family" so qualified for a maintenance grant from the governent and a maintenance loan. I went my entire first year without working and was actually able to save money. By 2nd year I got a part time job. I was able to save £6000 whilst at uni (and that was with doing a Masters and not getting a grant/loan for that year). Anyone who has to resort to prostitution whilst at uni must have either not bothered to fill in their student funding forms properly or they have an extremely extravagent lifestlye!!

by Lucy on 14 December 2011 18:25

Apologies for being slow, but is this not what student loans are for?...

by Ollie on 14 December 2011 22:39

That better be some degree you're studying if it's worth getting down and doing the dirty for cash! If you're doing Media Studies at Thames Valley Uni and you have gone on the game to complete the course? Have a word!

This is more the sort of story you find in The Mail not the BBC. I just can't see it happening.

by NikkiJ on 14 December 2011 22:46

NUS: Students turning to prostitution to fund studies
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16157522

...right who out there is whoring for the degree?

by Liam on 07 January 2012 21:43

I agree with Alison from London. I came from a low income family, I went and worked full time, studied part time with the open uni. Now I come out with a science degree, studying masters with a well paid job to back it up. I have 0 debts from uni and pay it all on a monthly basis - Working full time I managed to get a senior lab tech job and now a supervisor in another field.

"they surely deserve to have support" - Yes, best support is yourself there is no need to rely on anyone else or a sugar daddy.

by Mobeena on 18 January 2012 21:00

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Why should the government be blamed for someone selling themselves in order to attain a degree? There are several money making methods, even in this recession!! I've had several jobs which have helped me get through university as well as government funding. If you REALLY want a degree you'll go to any lengths, that's understandable, but selling your body shouldn't be considered an option, no matter what your household income may be, or if you're jobless!

by Mariana on 20 January 2012 16:59

I actually came across several girls who did this whilst at uni, however I noticed that none of them were actually in "need". Generally it was to fund a luxury lifestyle and the need to prostitute arose from 2nd year onward after seeing other classmates flaunt cash. Also, since I was at a private university I don't think the girls/boys involved in this were entitled to state funding regardless.

by Helen on 22 January 2012 15:05

it seems to me that you miss the point entirely... you may be happy to be disadvantaged by unreasonable government policies but many are not and niether should they be. Surely we want the best academics to attend university? How are we going to get this when participation is limited to the upper echelons of society? not to mention the fact that it is difficult enough to get a job when you have a degree never mind those who do not have one. Perhaps if you broadened your mind you wouldn't have to make such facetious comments.

by Tessy on 23 January 2012 22:44

Low income family or not, prostitution is out of the options. I think they are only doing it for pleasure. I funded myself with a part-time job through out my university life including my masters, the only loan I collect was an over draft of £1,500 from my bank with interest whilst I was still studying and a grace of 3 years to pay it off after graduating. So what is the excuse for prostituting? The government have made life easy for everyone except if you chose not to take the loan.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.