by Ash on 31 October 2012 15:07

Hi everyone,

I graduated in 2008 with 1st class hons in accounting and finance but since then i haven't taken any full-time role due to personal reasons. I have been private tutor for 2 years to earn some extra cash whilst looking after children.

I understand that there is too much competition nowadays i would like to get some advise on jobhunting without any experience in accounts. My aim is to be a chartered accountant and willing to volunteer but have not had any positive response from local firms.

I am planning to apply for graduate schemes with big names. Is it worthwhile or just waste of time? The only experience i can talk about is related to my house and kids :). Please give me some advice. kindly appreciated!

by James Aire on 01 November 2012 14:34

Dear Ash,

My opinion is that you are more likely to get a better response from one of the larger firms. They are looking for diversity and experience other than that offered by a raw graduate; smaller companies will not take any risks. Whilst you made the decision to start a family and dedicated yourself to raising them in the early years (over starting in earnest a career), this will not be a hindrance if you can show that you have developed over the past few years and childcare was an active choice. Although you may make it known of your personal circumstances at say an interview stage, I would avoid divulging this at the early stages. Unfortunate as it is, employers will not want to be burdened with a perceived lack of flexibility. Also, you must avoid being too personal/truthful in applications/interviews ie speaking about children/dependants/some obvious motivations eg emphasising money as a major factor rather than what a career in finance will bring for you/you can give to it. For, skills/experience, an example of say coordinating finances, I would not say balancing the weekly bills as this is too personal, but emphasise how you billed clients/pupils, managed the receipt of these funds (personal/business account), paid your tax etc.

Hope it works out

by Sljder on 01 November 2012 19:15

Well as far as i've noticed you should apply for big-name graduate schemes only when you match description 110%.
Only a personal opinion :)

by Fred on 02 November 2012 09:50

I'd say the opposite of James,

Little firms will have lower criteria to fill and as far more likely to take a chance as they won't have a strict set of guidelines to adhere to.

by Paul on 02 November 2012 12:11

Hi Ash,

I would agree with james here, i think applying for the large firms who run graduate schmes may be your best bet. They generally don't ask for previous accounts experience just that you can demonstrate that you have the transferable skills that they are looking for; teamwork, communication etc. Draw on your experiences from the tutoring work that you have been doing and also any part times you had whilst at uni or societies/ clubs that you were a member of. Whilst it is certainly competitive it is not impossible; I have some friends who managed to get on 'Big 4' schemes from diverse backgrounds such as Music and Biology.

From what i've noticed the smaller firms who don't run specific grad schemes tend to prefer people with previous experience. Whilst you are applying I would continue to ask around for volunteer accounts work, maybe see if any local charities need help with their accounts?

Good luck!

by James Aire on 02 November 2012 14:18

Job descriptions tend only to include academic prerequisites and possibly some work (unrelated included) experience.Top-tier firms are after potential rather than hands-on experience per se, for graduate schemes. This is the reason why they run their own numerous verbal and numerical tests, assessment days, competency interviews and one-to-one interviews. That is not to say that individuals may have had differing experiences, though this is supposed to be a top-tier company's policies. Top tier firms have many regional offices that offer a more home/work balanced environment. These are equally competitive to join as the London offices though with fewer positions available. Concern now is that it is quite late on in the application cycle and they may be reaching a back log quite soon. You will stand a decent chance if your University is of good standing and have good A Levels and GCSEs in English language and Maths.

by Laura on 29 May 2013 10:29

Hi Ash,

My advice would be to get as familiar with the sector as possible! You will have to convince the interviewer that you didn't start working in the area because of personal reasons and not because you are simply not that interested..

I would recommend to start reading related media (FT, Bloomberg, efinancialcareers.com etc.), and start practicing your numerical skills again. (I am sure after 2 years you are out of practice).
When I was preparing for my interview I used this online test:
http://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm , but there are other good ones available as well. Just google it :)

Good luck,
Laura

by anonymous on 17 October 2016 22:25

Indeed, there is a very high level of competition in this area. It's very hard to get a job without experience. It looks like a vicious circle.
Can I ask the author of this post, did he got a job in his field?

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.