by Frank on 29 November 2011 09:58

I recently graduated with a very high 2:1 from a very reputable university, and I am currently completing a 1 year MSc Finance course at the same university. However, my A-Levels are atrocious and I find that whenever I apply for a job I spend hours doing their application forms only for them to come back saying that my A-Levels aren't good enough and I get rejected on the spot. Its lead me to believe that I may have been better off redoing A-Levels than spending £8,500 on a Masters. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

by Julie on 30 November 2011 09:18

I too don't have brilliant A-levels either and had a sort of similar situation. But recently i've been applying to medium sized companies who take my experience into account and have been getting further that way! im waiting on a few interviews ive done, I literally did so much at uni and has paid off so perhaps it's worth trying to volunteer or do an internship while you wait?

by Mandeep on 30 November 2011 17:58

I also found that lots of graduate schemes will want good ucas points, but also will not take A level re-takes anyhow.

I also didn't have the best A Levels, and did a Masters in Finance. What I did find is that there were Master graduate schemes out there - you just need to keep your eye out for them. I would start researching now and think about apply in your final year.

Good luck, I have been there. It worked out really well for me (sorry to show off) - work as a sales assistant in a leading supermarket, sometimes I get to use my Finance Masters to its full use and go on the till! Only messing I work as an analyst.

by Sonara on 01 December 2011 08:50

I have experienced something very similar, I reckon A Levels is far more important and suggest redoing them.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.