by Markus on 03 October 2012 10:19

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anybody has applied to the John Lewis Graduate scheme? I am applying at the moment and it would be great if I could get any hints & tips!

Thanks,

Markus

by lynne on 06 October 2012 08:30

Hi,

I applied for last year and got to the questions stage; I thought my responses were spot on but apparently not. Here is a copy of the criteria which they are looking for in the responses to the standard questions, which they have applicants complete. This was in their get lost email, and I believe that the same set questions are sent to everyone. Good luck

Work Experience
Relevant experience, ideally working in a product, design or retail related roles, as well as evidence
of management responsibility.

Non Academic Achievements
Evidence of involvement in a range of interests that demonstrate interpersonal skills, creativity
and leadership capability.

Team Leader
Evidence of working in a management or leadership capacity with a clear demonstration of
responsibility for team’s performance, which also includes personal reflection on performance.

Working Relationships
Evidence of being an active member of a successfully established group or team, including a clear
explanation of own contribution to the team.

Proudest Achievement
An example of a significant achievement (e.g. winning an award or involvement in charitable work)
along with strong evidence of drive and motivation to exceed expectations.

Working under Pressure
Evidence of resolving a significant situation (commercial or personal) to a successful conclusion,
including clear evidence of exceptional determination, commitment and resilience.

Commercial Awareness
Evidence of a strong understanding of John Lewis as a retailer, as well as an innovative suggested
improvement which has a real business focus and highlights the potential impact on the business.

Exceptional Product
Evidence of describing with passion and enthusiasm the features of the product, making links to
key product credentials such as design and customer appeal, and explaining why it excels above
other products.

Complex Planning
Able to provide an example of planning something out of the ordinary which culminated in an
impressive result, giving consideration to the process which drove the result and clearly
demonstrating courage and enterprise.

by James on 08 October 2012 18:02

I applied for this last year. On submitting the application form, you are emailed a number of competency questions. You will only have a single week to fill these, so make sure you don;t submit the application form prior to a busy week. You won't have the time to do the questions justice.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.