by Eva on 23 September 2012 18:24

Graduated from a Business degree this July and have been incredibly lucky enough to get an internship close to home (there are terrible prospects for grads here in Cumbria!!). I'm only interning part-time and don't feel I want to take it on full-time even though I love the work as I am not paid.

My location restricts me to where I can apply for work as I can't drive yet (doubtful if I will before I'm 30) so I've been limited to the number of places I can submit my CV. I have stacks of work experience but I'm struggling to get a suitable job anywhere. Admin work seems to be very competitive - even though I'm basically an admin assistant at my internship, I don't get any responses to my applications! I feel I may be overlooked for being over-qualified. I have now done a lot of research online, and have been in touch with companies about paid virtual internships and freelance work.

I'm hoping I can actually put my business skills to use this way, and I get the feeling a lot of small companies would like to get recent grads on board as paid interns. Just wondering if anyone is doing the same thing? Anyone finding it a bit easier to get work online versus physically being in a shop etc? Anyone living in the sticks too and come up with a good solution!!??

by Mark on 24 September 2012 09:44

Hi Eva,

Your situation does sound tricky! I am in the same position, looking for internships near me to try and get that important experience. I actually found this page pretty useful, there is some good info and internships: http://www.graduate-jobs.com/internships_and_work_placements

by Richard on 24 September 2012 16:02

I don't think you can let your location limit your job search if you are serious about getting a decent job. You can always look into house shares after securing employment so I would say do not factor this too much into your job search.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.