by PaulMcG on 11 October 2011 18:03

I'm studying Economics, I'm on for a 2:1, want to get into Banking, why not apply to what is considered the most successful investment bank in the market? Worth a go right? Anyone out there with some positive insights which I might be able mention at a potential interview?

Thanks

Paul

by Craig on 14 October 2011 16:54

"why not apply to what is considered the most successful investment bank in the market?"

Because you probably won't get it. EVERYONE will have a degree, most in some sort of mathematical setting. And a 2:1 probably won't be enough.

Unless you're an Olympic champion, speak three languages and have travelled across the world (God know why any of this matters) they probably won't hire you.

Sorry.

by Ray on 14 October 2011 21:17

What university are you studying at? What area of investment banking would you like to go into? if you're looking to go into trading or CIB then you should be aiming to achieve a first class and preferably have A's at A level. The interview selection are very tough but do-able. There are many good banks out there such as jp morgan, deutsche bank, HSBC, BarCap, Nomura etc but try getting an internship to see if you actually like it.

by PaulMcG on 15 October 2011 19:45

Thanks for the advice Craig...on reflection I won't bother - and sit about for a bit waiting for a job to land in my lap. Or I'll give it a whirl - yes given the odds I might not get a job with Goldman but I'll give it a shot. The alternative is regretting having never done it.

Anyway best of luck with the not bothering plan...let me know how that goes for yah!

by Kevin on 17 October 2011 18:49

hi i would like to know when the ibm graduate scheme will be opened for the role of a management accountant.

by Marc on 23 March 2013 20:25

Hi Paul,

Your best bet is definitely to try and get an internship first. Its a chance for you to see if you like it, and also get your foot in the door early. Of all the graduates that I have spoken to in banking, I would say that about 25% feel that banking is not what they expected, and end up leaving banking in the short term

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.