by Anthony on 09 October 2011 16:05

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum for it, but I'll post this here anyway. I've been meaning to ask if anyone here has had experience with KPMG's recruitment processes as I've applied to them for a tax position?

I've made it through to the telephone interview so far, which will be coming up soon. They've outlined a series of competencies they'll focus on. My guess is that this interview will focus in interest and knowledge of the firm and the aforementioned competencies. Does it usually deviate much from this? Are there any surprises to expect? What is their overall recruitment process like from this point onwards? I scored quite high in their numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, so I'm anxious what the ones at the assessment centre will be like. Much of the same?

I've also applied to Saffery Champness up in Harrogate. I like a lot of what I've read about the firm. I've gotten through again to the telephone interview, yet have been informed it's only 15 mins. That isn't a lot of time, so does anyone have a clue what sort of things they might ask? It almost seems like those calls you get from recruitment consultants to ask if you want a position still. Anyone know much about them?

The final company I've applied to is Grant Thornton. Will their processes and telephone interview be drastically different from KPMG's? They're effectively in the same league these days.

For the time being I've left out E&Y because I'm still waiting for the 1 year application cool-off period to elapse. I'm familiar with their procedures because I got up to the partner interview for an AAT trainee position, but obviously this involved no assessment centre. I'm also thinking of applying to Morrisons's graduate positions for finance. Can anyone give me some insight into the companies I mentioned in the first four paragraphs and into the whole CA/tax graduate application process generally? I know there's a lot of online resources out there but they tend to focus on the Big Four and not necessarily on their UK operations (or those outside London anyway, though I know these firms tend to be quite homogeneous in this respect across the world.)

Any recommendations on other firms to look at? I'm quite flexible as to where I work. What I want is a career in a good accountancy firm or in industry. My academics are quite good but it's mainly preparation for interviews/assessment centres that I need to improve on.

by Jarod on 11 October 2011 10:22

Well I've gone for the HM Revenue & Customs Tax Professional Development Programme, pretty good benefits and just a different route to take. Have my first interview with them soon! From experience I can tell you that the face to face interview with KPMG is very likely to be based purely on their competencies but I heard that they are changing it next year? Might want to check on that!

by Anthony on 12 October 2011 16:45

Yes, I've read about their revised AC process. I'll see if the HMRC has any programmes where I am. They're not exactly my first choice of employer but if since willing to pay for the training I might consider it.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.