by Hermos on 10 July 2012 18:13

I have finally graduated with a degree in maths. I loved my degree, and I loved working towards exams - something that a lot of people won't relate to! As a student, I focused on my degree but I knew that work experience was crucial - I tried internships and graduate scheme applications, but I often felt inadequate and thought, 'why bother?' a lot. So I don't have much work experience but I want to change that now.

Now that I've started applications I know that I'm a credible candidate, but I'm at a loss. I've applied to at least 10-15 jobs last Thurs/Fri alone, and I've been rejected from 2. The rest haven't even replied. A few grad schemes that I was really interested in still haven't gotten back to me and it's been 2 weeks.

I don't know what to do. It feels like people are saying, 'yeah, drop us an application!' and then just refuse to acknowledge it. Perhaps because they found someone with more relevant experience, or because their intake has closed but their website hasn't been updated. In any case, I don't know what to do.

Can someone please advise me on how I should go about these next few months? Do I just apply to everything that strikes my fancy and hope for the best? Do I wait patiently for 6 months for any desk job, after which I take any job I can?

by Graeme on 11 July 2012 06:27

Hi,

It is hard to tell you what the best plan is for looking for a job as a lot of it depends on your personal circumstances (eg, how long you can wait to find a job you really want). What I can say though is don't be disheartened by not getting anywhere with the applications you've made so far! You said you applied for 10-15 in one day? Were they CV/Covering letter applications? This can sometimes be the downfall of many when applying for jobs - too many focus on the number of applications they send off and not as much on the quality of their applications! Especially with grad schemes the best way to proceed is to take your time over the applications and ensure you are showcasing all you have to offer as opposed to throwing loads of applications out there in the hope that one will hit!

In terms of the not hearing from the grad schemes, you shouldn't worry too much about that! A lot of these schemes have closing dates and sometimes don't consider any applications until this date passes! To give you an idea I know some people personally who applied for a scheme in November and only heard back from them in February...and then got the job in March! The first part of the application process tends to take the longest as that's when they need to look at all of the applications to whittle tem down!

The best advice I can offer is to really focus on your applications, especially the ones you are really interested in! Have a look at the closing dates for applications and diarise these dates so you can plan your application filling.

The last thing I can say is not to stress too much over a lack of relevant work experience. Whilst it can be useful at times it is not always essential! I'm sure you'll have gained a wealth of experience and transferable skills from your degree and other things...as long as you show that you've got something to bring to TW role then employers will be happy!

Hope that helps and good luck!

by Hermos on 11 July 2012 17:06

Hi Graeme,

Firstly, thank you for replying! I appreciate it very much. I've made a fair few graduate scheme applications in the last week, yes, and they almost all required a CV,covering letter & some competency questions. I'm rather concerned, since I've had two rejections out of roughly 10 that I've applied for. The others simply haven't replied. I'd rather just be rejected and move on, rather than wait in hope for months on end.

I often get the automated emails that says that my application was received, but I often wonder if this is really the case. Do employers bin applications without getting in touch with the client? Would this happen with graduate schemes? I understand that many schemes open in September/October and start interviewing as late as March, but I'm more concerned since I've applied for 2012 starts in June/July, and the roles start around September/October. Perhaps they simply forgot to close the application site, and the scheme has already been filled?

In any case I guess there's no use worrying. I will most certainly focus on my applications. Thank you for the comforting words, I do hope there are more people like you in the working world!

by Graeme on 12 July 2012 04:53

Hi,

It is hard to say whether or not employers actually do read your application without physically seeing them do it! I would say, however, that most do tend to read every application. The fact that you've not heard back from schemes that start soon can mean a number of things. First it could be that they will have a shorter recruitment process with less rounds and they will whittle down all of the applications before inviting to interviews/assessment centres. Secondly it could be that they have filled the roles, however they would likely get back to you quite quickly if that were the case. Or thirdly it could something quite common practice which sadly is that after they select the candidates to move on to the next stage, they tend to focus on proceeding with them before getting back to you to say you've been unsuccessful.

Best thing to do is not to let it get to you and just keep applying to schemes! I would also digest starting to look at ones beginning next year if you don't have luck with the ones beginning this year...and remember there will be many more schemes available!

Unfortunately there isn't a magic answer to get through these schemes so you just have to stick at it!

Good luck!

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.