by Stuart on 06 July 2012 12:32

Hi,

I recently graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology from a good university. As a mature graduate (age 31 yrs) I am finding it difficult to know how to sell myself and whether I should be applying for graduate schemes/jobs at all.

On the plus side I have previous work experience as an assistant manager for a high street chain and a leisure resort. To some of you this may sound great in that I have tangible work experience unlike younger applicants but I feel this experience has little relevance to the new careers I am aspiring to.

My main concern is I have no idea how recruitment agents and employers perceive older applicants. Perhaps they feel we might have a "been there done that attitude" and have unrealistic salary expectations. I for one I'm willing to start at the bottom like everyone else if it means the start of an exciting new career.

Any thoughts guys?

by Jen on 07 July 2012 07:20

Hi,

As a mature graduate I am finding quite a few obstacles being put in my way by potential employers. I have been told in not so many words that at 35 I'm to old !! Maybe they perceive that I haven't the energy of a sprightly 21 year old, well they are very much mistaken. We have experience on our side and I think you should be selling your strongest attributes, mature students have so much to offer in life experience which I think is invaluable. I have decided to start my own business as I feel my strengths can make it a success. Good luck with the job hunting ??.

by John on 07 July 2012 07:59

I'm 31 years old and a recent graduate from a top ten uni. I had the same fears, but was consoled that the UK system doesn't allow employers to ask the age of their candidates. Unfortunately it doesn't stop them, and I have found that it seems to be the employers first consideration.
This doesn't necessary mean that its a bad thing. I have been a managing director of several companies, so employers know automatically they are getting a top candidate at a rock bottom price. Therefore don't get deterred, 31 is far from old, and in the right light its a great advantage, you should look at the qualities you have gained from the past experiences and tailor them towards your future roles.
To get past the high salary expectations, show enthusiasm for the role you are going for. If the employer can see your really really looking forward to doing a job, then they won't mind if you have been there and done something else.

I hope it helps you out, and I hope it all works out fine for you.

by Darren on 07 July 2012 11:28

As a mature graduate myself of 37yo (graduated last year), I found myself facing the same issues, and wasn't sure if I'd even be employable. I graduated in Computer Science, which many see as a young man's game. I applied for a quite a few positions, including Graduate schemes, and many of the companies I spoke with said that they valued the attitude that older people, especially if with previous work experience can bring to the table, a major plus!

I have since been offered a place on a graduate scheme, so take heart, being older is not necessarily a disadvantage, you'll probably come across much better in interview than you think you will, I know I did.

As for previous work experience EVERYTHING is transferable skill wise if you think about it, and managerial experience is always a benefit, it shows potential employers you have leadership qualities, regardless of what industry they were based in. The only down side might be that you chose a degree relevant to jobs that are way over subscribed, there were around 10 people trying for each place on the scheme I got on, don't know what the ratio would be for you industry sorry, but rule #1, keep applying, the longer you leave it the more grads you will be going up against!

by etnA on 08 July 2012 10:07

hey there,
anybody has a concern about job market. when u r very young from colledge , you think you don't have skills and recruiters are looking for skilled workers. when u r more mature u thing ppl r looking for younger applicants. it is somehow funny. isn't it?
i believe u really need to change your mindset. you have many things to offer. i have a recommandation for you. since u r psychology student, why don't u use the power of ur mind to help u in this regards?
the best book with step by step processs is here. it has also techniques to get ur job in an urgent manner.look at this here and release all ur limiting beliefs about how job market is .http://tinyurl.com/d3dwrtp

by davide on 10 July 2012 20:08

Hi there Jen

Don't you worry I am in your exact same situation. However I have already had two interviews in two months, both successful ones. I am 31 and foreigner but I believe that most companies hire graduates and shape them through training. All my previous interviewers told me that having experience should facilitate a faster progression throughout the career pathway.
In any case be positive and keep looking. My suggestion is to apply for any possible graduate scheme available.

dav

by Mr Happy on 11 July 2012 14:23

Mature student myself 39, and Im going for a complete career change...
My whole work history is now only half a page on my CV after several agencies advised me to just to list them as job titles, was had to do. But now getting comments good about CV as I ask the agencies when they call.
Us oldies have so many soft skills they are looking for and can put commercial experience next to it.

Tried something new yesterday set up several Gmail accounts and created multiple accounts on the job search engines like monster, reed etc for specific roles had 8 agencies call today some about roles I've already applied for but go responses. I'm not just focusing on graduate jobs but trying entry level ones too, to get my foot in the door.

Its luck and having an idea of what you want to do as I think the generalised stuff is so crowded compared to niche. I'm looking to going into analytics and most jobs advertised are looking for
the following subjects (Maths, Economics, Science, Social science or maths based degrees) yikes

So good luck everyone and congrats to people who have got a job.

by Matthew on 23 September 2013 16:28

I am mature graduate of 45 years with a first class degree in mechanical engineering 2013 and have 17years of experience in the manufacturing sector but finding it difficult to find any job. I have been to couples of interviews both graduate scheme and direct entry but no ways of getting that first job.

by Mike on 25 September 2013 09:16

Hello fellow graduates,
I graduated this July with a BA First Class Honours degree in Education Studies and English Language with a view to becoming an English teacher in a secondary school. Unfortunately because I was so focused on getting a good degree I was late entering the application process for teacher training. I did not get a place and now I have a year to fill before re-applying. I have applied for at least ten teaching assistant jobs, as I have experience teaching in both primary and secondary, and have not heard a thing back from any of them. I am 36, I have many transferable skills, I have experience in building and construction, project management, retail and schools and consider myself to be VERY employable. Can I find a job? Noooo. People keep telling me to volunteer at a school to get more experience. How many people in their thirties and older can afford to work for nothing? With age comes many responsibilities each costing a fortune in the current economic climate.
I keep reading in the newspaper that schools are crying out for more men in the field. Well if the only way I can get into teaching is to work for free I am afraid that this enthusiastic teacher to be will be broadening his horizons and looking into acquiring a job in other fields.

by brian lawren on 23 June 2014 18:47

Hi, reading through the posts about mature students seems strange that someone would think of themselfs as mature at 30 I still felt young at that age. Myself i am thinking of getting a degree in energy engineering im a 50 with all my working experience in construction as a bricklayer this will be a complete carear shift will I gain employment, taking these posts into account i dont think so, so therefore 40-50 thousand in the bin cant take it with me.

by Mr Happy on 26 June 2014 00:03

There are opportunities for mature students.. on my 2nd job now.
The job market is buoyant and as a mature student the degree got me looked at and on both occasions the reason given for giving me a job was my business acumen. Even though I had done a complete career shift.

I will start looking again soon as i need to create my own training plans by shifting jobs as graduate schemes just didn't seem to respond

The biggest issue i have had is getting a handle of employers in my sector that are not the big well known organisations and trying to find the boutique/young businesses.

So good luck it will happen

One bit of advice think of looking for a work as an exercise in targeted branding and marketing and that the product is you, oh and use linkedin properly. White space on cv is not a bad thing gives you something to talk about in interviews.

by martin mahoney on 29 June 2014 15:49

I am now getting worried by all the negative replies here from 30+ graduates, I am 52 and so far had only two interviews which i thought i had done well in, the response that i have received is one of well done for returning to education and getting a degree at this point in my life and still applying for trainee roles despite an extensive previous work record, my advice is don't be so negative look on it as a new start not a hindrance.

by kathy Stanley-Quist on 05 August 2014 11:56

Hi all

Well I am nearly 50 and have spent the last five years in education.. an access course followed by a foundation year in science followed by a three year degree.. I achieved a 2:1 in a science degree which I was very impressed with myself for achieving.

But yes the market does seem aimed at the under 25s and yes it is against the law to discriminate due to age, but they can make up any answer they like as to why you are not suitable when you know that actually it is your age.

Now.. I am not going to be stopping work to have a baby(ies) I missed one day in four years at uni due to bad weather so my track record and achievements should speak for themselves.
Unlike a lot of you I do not have a great wealth of work experience behind me as I have been a mum for almost 30yrs though this in itself has many transferable skills.

The only thing you can do is keep trying.. apply apply apply because you WILL eventually succeed it may just take a little longer

by Jeneefar on 07 August 2014 07:55

Hello,
I am 45 and have recently graduated with a 1st in Creative Writing. My initial plan was a career in teaching but after an interview for a 2014/15 teacher training course I was told I needed more classroom experience. A bit unfair I thought seeing how I'd met the minimum requirement by volunteering at a local school. Naively, I also thought my mature age and bringing up my 4 children might put me at an advantage, but that was not the case. So now I face the question of money.
To continue with the teaching idea would mean volunteering and reapplying in the winter, but not earning worries me. I also have the option of doing a Masters through a paid scheme but this would only cover the cost of the course, and I don't know if it would be worth wasting another year. I have been looking for work but they all ask for a CV and since I haven't been employed for 21 years, my experience outside motherhood is not impressive. I now know that education does not guarantee a job and experience is equally, if not more important. It's a scary time for me!

by Jay on 08 August 2014 10:12

Hi

This reply is mainly for Jeneefar. I am a mature creative writing student, 46. I completed my BA English/Creative Writing, then PGCE FE. I have found a few hours teaching in a college but they are difficult to find. My PGCE FE was funded so perhaps working in FE might be an option for you to consider. I always wanted to do my MA in Creative Writing and have just graduated with a Merit. I loved the MA and although I haven't found a job yet, do not consider it a waste of a year and really want to do my PhD next. I am in the position of most recent graduates, I have the qualifications but no experience. I have applied for graduate schemes and internships - just to get a foot in the door but have had no luck up to yet. At my graduation ceremony the other week I was talking with my twenty year old classmates and they haven't found a job yet either so I'm not sure if it is age that puts employers off. I think that there are just too many graduates out there these days.

by Jeneefar on 13 August 2014 12:24

Thanks Jay for your reply. I agree, many gradautes struggle to find work, possibly due to the over-abundance of graduates and the employers fortunate position of being able to nit-pik. As a wife and a mother, dedicating spare time to my course meant I didn't have time for internships or working for the Uni and have missed out on gaining good CV fodder. Ideally, I would like to take a masters in Creative Writing but I'm thinking it more beneficial employment wise if I was to study Literature. However, I am now swaying towards giving up on academic life all together and getting into employment, whether that means volunteering just to tick the experience box. Best of luck.

by Brent on 18 August 2014 16:56

Hi
Same story sadly. I completed a Geoscience degree (2:1 Hons) but have managed to secure only one interview in 2 years, I am 46 and although i have a wealth of transferable skills from 20 years of employment i seem to be getting nowhere. I even did a PGCE in Geography so my degree wouldn't be wasted but its still disappointing and at times deflating.
:(

by Dawn on 22 August 2014 08:39

I graduated in July 2014 with a 2:2 in Criminology I now work for the NHS, just keep looking something will turn up in a career that you want. I was also a mature student at the grand old age of 46. It has never stopped me you need to consider if you are older you have skills that you can transfer and utilise.

by Paul on 02 September 2014 07:59

I got a 2:1 degree two years ago. Last week I was 'head hunted' via my CV for a management role. Ageism may occur but not in my case......I'm 54!

by Pauline on 09 September 2014 11:57

I had the same problem degree Health/Psychology so decided to employee myself.
I am a good worker, educated, reliable, honest and at 50plus I decided to work for myself as my self esteem was being affected. So I have started on that road and have picked up some part time work until I can afford to go fully self-employed. The problem is the minimum wage, this was to protect people from going into poverty instead some employers pay minimum wage as the ideal bench mark. I was earning more at 20 than what is being offered now.
And yes we live in an ageist society perhaps we need a apprentice show for 30+

by Roland on 09 October 2014 11:30

I am 50, and a mature graduate from the Open University where I did politics, philosophy and economics (2.2) and has been working full time as an employment advisor on the welfare to work programme. Have completed NVQ4 in IAG and has more than 8 years experience working in the charity sector. Thought if I completed my OU degree, it would help me a lot but after my charity went under because of no money, everybody became redundant and until now I've applied for various jobs and get more than 10 interviews but nobody seems to want to take me on. Is it my age or the fact that its age discrimination at its best dealing with me. Or is it that I'm not at the right city? Please can somebody advice me now on what to do as this can turn to a mental health problem because of the hardship that unemployment is doing to me.

by Zidy! on 14 October 2014 19:08

Well I'm 34! graduated in May and feeling I aint just good enough at the moment. Being a graduates just not enough I think. And I'm not as sharp as the 22 year olds! Confused about my future career (degree in business management) But what I know is this, you have to keep at it, Im carrying on brushing up until I get where I want to be. If I don't get a job just going to try until I do. You can only try until you die!

by Zidy! on 14 October 2014 19:16

Hi Mike!

Have you tried teaching agencies?

I think you would be successful if you did. I work with 2 agencies and it's hard to begin with but once they call you they will keep calling back and you end up working in a few regular schools where you get to know staff and this may lead to long term employment.

It's one way of getting into teaching and so far it is working for me, I graduated in Business Management and now want to teach.

Good Luck

by Theresa on 20 October 2014 14:20

Hi everyone,

I have just been reading through your remarks about the difficulties in securing work for us older graduates. I was beginning to think it was just me. I have 3 good degrees in Mechanical engineering including a doctorate but is finding a job difficult or what? I did not anticipate facing such challenges. I actually thought that the soft skills i acquired from my retail part-time work and full-time doctoral studies would be just the thing many companies require in addition to a good academic background, but alas. I have applied to several graduate schemes to no avail. In some instances, I have even passed the online ability tests only to receive that rejection email nonetheless. Initially, I used to call to enquire why this was so only to encounter very rude HR workers. One gentleman from one of the big manufacturing companies just said "Well, sorry. That's just how it is". This is after his colleague had earlier confirmed that I had passed the online ability tests. A different company actually told me they had sent me a rejection email "In error" when i called to challenge them over how a graduate with a first and distinction in mechanical engineering could have failed to meet their minimum requirements of a 2:2 in an engineering discipline. I have been to a couple of assessment days but i suppose as a 31 year old mother of 2 boys I am somehow less desirable compared to the young 22 year old male candidates. I say this because, I have been told that my competencies where i mentioned finishing my studies and successfully writing up my thesis while caring for a new born were actually quite weak (May i add the interviewers were male in both instances). I finally gave up calling to ask why as i realised i was losing my enthusiasm especially when companies can not identify how exactly I did not meet their selection criteria.

I have also tried looking for work in academia as i thought the recruitment process is fairer and recruiters read through people's CVs. Although I have at least attended 6 interviews, research positions tend to be quite particular with the kind of research experience the candidates have. I am often told I was a strong candidate but someone else had a bit more experience in that particular field compared to me. And so now a year after I completed my studies, I am still jobless and increasingly frustrated. It is really quite distressing.

by Alex on 22 October 2014 09:17

Hi,

I graduated in law as a 34 year old and have had hell on earth trying to find any work! Following the advice given I started applying for graduate roles whilst in the second and third year at uni and got nothing but turn downs. To cut a long story short it is nearly a year since I graduated and I have not managed to get a single graduate job despite applying for hundreds now. So I am now unemployed after leaving a part time delivery job and I am going to see if I can back into shop management which is what I did before I tried to improve prospects by getting a degree.

I think the reality of it is that for me at least going and doing a degree was the worst decision I have ever made, it is very difficult to admit that after spending 3 years and to much money om it but frankly the only way to get back into a proper job for me is to forget I ever did it and perhaps even remove it from my CV.

by Alex on 22 October 2014 09:19

I can only agree, but I don't know what the answer is!

by Kevin on 25 October 2014 09:08

I see the problem all us mature students are having trying to find work. Many of us are given no reasons to why we are turned down from a job and even the voluntary route is difficult as they are now expecting you to have the same skills as a paid worker.

Recently I did an online skills test with a large organisation although it asked for me to do it by myself I actually completed it with the help of someone who has been working in the industry for many years. I still got turned down. I'm not sure if it's due to my age or if I simply didn't fit the criteria but I do know it suggests that the experienced manager I worked with would have been turned down for a graduate scheme also.

I have also had the problem of being told jobs have been given to more experienced applicants although I have been working in the same line of work for almost 20 years.

I would actually like to change directions or at least develop the managerial side of my experience. I am a qualified youth worker and have worked in schools for years.

I am now 44 and graduated last year with a 2:1 in Youth and Community studies. The only benefit I can see with doing my degree is that I can apply for jobs which require you to have a 2:1, although it hasn't benefited me further than this. A part of the problem at the moment is not age or employers as such but the recent recession has changed everything. I was getting paid more 8 thousand more ten years ago than I have been post degree and here lies the problem. I can get work through agencies being a teaching assistant (a really poorly paid job nowadays) but any further up the hierarchy or a change of direction is looking more unrealistic even though my skills increased during degree placements.

by April on 26 October 2014 21:15

Hi all!

Please feel free to tell me to leave the forum if my face doesn't fit with the rest of you brave people! I'm a 38 yr old mother of 2 starting her 3rd year's part-time study in Languages & English with the OU. The reason I am reading your comments is because I guess I am kind of trying to plan ahead a little, like a lot of you have already said, it's worrying to think you may have studied and then not be able to financially gain from your efforts, not to mention the costs that were involved in gaining those qualifications!I'm in the midst of it & it's possible that I may have another 2 years' part-time study left and I understand that a lot can change in the job market in that time. I can't conceive of wanting to do a post-grad degree at that age or further teacher training. The age thing is a worry. I may be over 40 when I start applying for jobs. As yet, I haven't got a clue what I want to do, even now. All I know is I love learning language & everything to do with it, speaking it & learning about it. It would be a complete career change that I'm after having had work experience in everything from retail to financial services & as a given, I would start from the bottom if necessary.

What i'd like to dare to ask is, if there's anything you'd do, with hindsight, if you were me right now what would it be, if anything? So, it's advice I'm after from the people that know rather than the careers advisers, the recruitment agencies and The Guardian(other than of course give up my studies because that isn't going to happen.)

Many thanks in advance for your responses,

April

by Felix on 27 October 2014 13:05

Hi Guys
I have been reading your stories about job prospects for mature graduates, I am in my final year of a Finance degree and in my 2nd year the university paired me with a mentor at one of the big 4 banks he told me that generally recruiters in the city do not recruit graduates above a certain age. This is soul destroying I have put so much into passing my degree but it looks like its all for nothing.

by Colin morrison on 28 October 2014 11:41

I am a 48 year old graduate with a Bsc Hons in Environmental science (2:1). One of my goals in life was to get a good degree and I achived that this year. However, it is proving really challenging as everyone seems to have opinions on older graduates. Mostly that we are too old, and having spoken with a recruitment agent recently, he confirmed there is a real bias, especially in larger companies.
What I have learned is this. I achived my dream at the cost of a great job as a manager in retail, but I still wouldn't change my decision to give up my career in retail. The degree for me is something I will be able to say " I did that". I would however take much more care the next time to do an internship with a company that would potentially employ me. The one I did do was with a one man band, and while I learned a great deal it was never going to offer a future role for me.
Perhaps more than anything, don't ever give up. My guess is that every single mature student on this forum is here because of that attitude of stubbornness - it's sometimes good to be reminded that we have to approach job hunting in the same way that we would submit coursework. Good luck everyone, and thanks to those of you with positive stories

by Chris on 04 November 2014 11:17

I graduated in 2012 with a 1st class honours in Building Surveying at 40 years of age. Since then despite applying for loads of surveying roles I have been unable to secure a graduate building surveying position and I've only had about 6/7 interviews in that time. I have also applied for other non-related surveying/property roles but I am determined to find a job were I can use the degree and skills/experience I gained in previous jobs. I was recently told by a recruitment agency that because I have a two year gap in my CV it will be even more difficult to get any job but I have been trying but I cant force someone to employ me. Like the previous poster, I am proud of achieving my degree and don't regret doing it but if I had my time again I would have tried harder to get work experience during my studies although a lack of experience doesn't seem to have stopped other younger graduates finding surveying jobs so I can only assume its my age that is the major problem which is a bit of a surprise because according to the RICS the average age of a building surveyor in the UK is 55 years old so surely I would fit in better than a 21 year old. At interviews I have been praised for returning to uni at my age and getting a 1st but it doesn't seem to manifest in a job offer. It is frustrating me as much as it depresses me and I am at a loss as what to do to be honest. Give up completely on getting a building surveying role or keep going as the property market has picked up considerably this year. A couple of mature students on my course have managed to find jobs but others including 21 year old grads haven't but have managed to find related roles. To add insult to injury I have discovered that a grad on my course who got a desmond and was probably one of the worst building surveying students on the course has just got a job as a surveyor with a good local estate agency/surveying firm. Gutted!!

by Steve on 07 November 2014 11:42

I picked up a 1st class Hons electrical engineering degree certificate in July and have found that it isn’t worth the paper it is written on. I am 38 and have given up applying for graduate design engineer roles because companies are just not interested. I have 16 years’ experience as a draughtsman, but I cannot get a job as a draughtsman because I have not worked for 4 years. I cannot get a job as a design engineer because I have no experience – even though I have been using computer aided design for 16 years.

I applied for a graduate designer position and a designer position at the same large multinational company and I was turned down for the graduate role because I was too experienced and I was turned down for the designer role because I was not experienced enough.

A massive problem is that the first line of defence in large companies is the HR department. The people of HR love to file and if they find a document (i.e. my CV) that doesn’t quite fit anywhere without some forward thinking it goes in the bin. The engineering manager doesn’t even get to see it.

I think the most depressing thing is that I have been a valued member of staff at every company I have worked at and completing the degree has improved every skill I previously possessed. I am a much more rounded individual with new skills that I hadn’t even heard of 4 years ago. But apparently I am unemployable because bettering yourself in this country is frowned upon. How companies have the cheek to say that there is a skills shortage in this country is unbelievable. Maybe if they were not so short sighted they would spend some time on training staff rather than poaching already trained staff from other companies.

I have experience of working in a pub so this morning I have removed my university education from my CV and replaced it with ‘bar manager’ at a pub I know has recently closed down, so no reference available. I have also dumbed down every role I have held and I am about to spend the afternoon looking for a minimum wage job so that my family is not evicted at Christmas.

Becoming a mature student is the worst decision I ever made because by trying to better myself I have let my family down, and for that I am thoroughly ashamed.

by Chris on 08 November 2014 09:59

Steve...i feel your shame fella. I had to ask my parents for money to pay off a credit card debt because i was struggling with the repayments. I was going to go bankrupt but they said they would help me out. The indignity of having to go cap in hand to them was enormous. So much for equal opportunities!
Good CAD skills are a transferable skill are in demand in construction etc. I know a guy who got a degree in electrical engineering but has worked for the last 7 years as a structural engineer because he couldn't get a job with in electrical engineering but had good CAD skills so consider other industries particularly building. Another idea might be becoming a lecturer in CAD. I wanted to do my C&G in CAD and contacted all the local colleges but they said although there is demand for the course they can't get any tutors so couldn't run them. Maybe worth speaking to them. I know someone who approached a local adult college offering to do employment courses and although she didn't get a salary, she was paid an amount for every person who came on the course. I set up a twitter account and starting tweeting i was looking for a job. Got one reply so far so you need to look outside the traditional methods of job hunting. Personally i wouldn't bother with grad schemes as they are not set up for mature grads. Yesterday i put i was looking for work on my football teams supporters forum and someone came back to me through that . Steve Jobs of Apple fame, said sometimes you have to go back to go forwards so I keep that in mind when looking for work.

by David Kent on 23 November 2014 13:38

Good afternoon,

I am a final year Business & management student (47) I attended university after suffering multiple injuries from an accident in 2007 . I had to start at level 3 (A-Level) this was because of the brain injury and left me with a severe issues in relation to communication and the ability to engage in coherent conversation either socially or in any potential employed position . I am still on that journey but the impact on my life and family has been devastating. I have now decided that the only way forward for me after my graduation will be to mentor and counsel other students that find themselves in the same position and to encourage them not to give up but to endure all the unseen difficulties along the way. It is troubling to think that HR is a barrier in graduate employability and to be objective in the face of stigmas that present themselves that then act as inhibitors in the process. My very best wishes to all those that do feel inspired to move forward in education , and for the support that is available through the student unions, a brilliant support network who never waver in their fight for continued funding, through student finance of England.
DK
Oxford

by Denise Seudieu on 24 January 2015 22:51

I'm reading all of your stories and it feels like 'been there, done that' and sad but I really still do.
I'm 34 years of age, graduated in 2011 with a Postgraduate Certificate in HRM from a good university and up to today I still can't get a permanent job. At first I tried to focus in getting a job as HR assistant whether paid or unpaid just for practical experience into my field of study. Hell no! I received more rejections that I could have ever imagined. I was told that I need at least 2 to 3 years experience in HR before anything could happen for me. But how do I obtain this experience when employers are not prepared to give me a chance even when I offer to work just as a volunteer. I was turned down at a couple graduate schemes because I was told up straight that they were after younger graduates. For other jobs I was rejected as being over qualified.
My level of frustration became so high that I began to think there was something wrong with me and would spend most of my nights crying alone in my room asking myself where to go, what to do.
After more than a year of unemployment- at some point I put my dream to work in HR aside and searched again for any job just to make a living. Thanks to an employment agency for almost 4 months I'm employed on a zero contrast bases as office Administrator. It is not a secure position I know, but it helps me from losing my mind at a sight of being without a job.
I still hold the hope that I would get to work as HR personnel somehow...If only I can get a volunteer HR Assistant role to start from.

by chris on 09 February 2015 00:17

I have an MBA (Distinction), only trouble is that it's from a crap university. Having had two grad jobs on the past, I left to start my own business which lost its wheels (sales drain, competitors) and drive. Currently working as an Academic Tutor (zero hour contract lecturer) and will need to go back into the workplace - i fear i will be discriminated against for hopping around careers and also the age.

Posters who mentioned HRM departments are spot on. Don't forget 'HRM' is a relatively new functon and subject area itself in some ways and i find HRM staff are past graduates and mostly quite young, they tend to focus on the company image buzzwords such as 'drive, ambitious and creativity' which tends to exclude many people due to preconceptions and biases

by Paul Laughlan on 25 March 2015 03:27

Hi,

After 20 years of minimum wage labour and tedious dole queues, I'm on the verge of completing an enjoyable Open University PPE degree at the legally irrelevant age of 38. With the naivety of a ballroom débutante, I was surveying my employment options when the iceberg of reality struck my starboard side. Like limited places on a lifeboat, good graduate jobs are subject to fierce competition and sometimes an unfair selection process, for many different reasons.

However, for every graduate who gets their desired job there are probably another 39 graduates (of all ages) proclaiming the injustice of it. The truth may be that in many cases the lucky graduate won the career lottery, and if the other 39 keep playing they may win it one day to.

Unfortunately, there are clear cases of age discrimination where people who have vast experience and excellent qualifications have difficulty even getting an interview. In the vain attempt to make a constructive contribution to the forum, here is a link for 'Advice UK advice centres' http://www.advicenow.org.uk/is-that-discrimination/get-discrimination-advice/get-advice-in-england-and-wales,10041,FP.html . They give advice to people who believe they have been discriminated against.

You are in the right and dodgy recruiters are in the wrong. Employers who illegally deny people opportunities due to age discrimination deserve the hassle of their recruitment procedures being questioned, and if necessary, legal action being taken against them.

Best of luck everyone

by Susannah on 05 May 2015 21:28

I did a masters in business after raising my family. I'm 42 and have secured a graduate placement as a trainee buyer for a massive global high street store. I also was one of 90 out of 16000 applicants to get to assessment centre for John Lewis.

I had limited work experience as I was a stay at home for the last 18 years. But I did do an internship for a month to get back into the swing of things, and I also ran my own small business from home. If you have what they want, you'll get the job. I was told that my age was irrelevant. They look at what skills and talents you bring.

by JG on 15 September 2015 17:07

Hi,

I have an MSc in Economics obtained in 2001 with 14 years post graduation sales experience.
Currently 38 years old and about to start an MSc in Computer Science. Time for a new challenge.

It is 100% true that recruiters discriminate regards age. I was a recruiter for 10 years. However, recruiters are working as per client requirements and clients want an 'ideal' when they are paying a fee. In reality, most clients would hire any person that can 'do the job'.

I have NEVER met an HR person who understands the business. Even at the highest level at major investment banks and accountancy firms, most HR people don't get it...but then HR is not wholly focused on talent acquisition...and if the business have talent acquisition teams and then they should not be spending money on recruiters. The point is that you should simply avoid dealing with HR if at all possible.

If you want the job, learn to sell yourself and aggressively (in terms of time spent) build networks. If 1000 line managers say 'no' to you then you are definitely doing something wrong. I have built company and candidate databases day-in and day-out for many years so have sat at the coal-face of probability. For every few hundred 'no's, i find the one 'yes' that will be the deal.

You are only looking for ONE 'yes'. Only one shot to prove yourself.

Also, make sure you are doing plenty of exercise. Body building, sprinting and running. Companies don't want unfit people.

That's my rant. Good luck.

by Kate on 10 October 2015 14:23

Hi, Have you thought about approaching the NHS for a placement in HR. THE NHS I believe are less prejudicial towards mature graduates. Also, volunteering in a people focused role such as the Samaritans would develop transferable skills that you can put down on your c.v, for example, the ability to communicate well with others, diplomacy, tact, empathy etc...

by Katherine Brennan on 15 February 2016 17:54

I am a 45 year old with a First Class (Hons) Social Science degree and I have been looking for a job and I'm getting nowhere. I believe that this is to do with my age. I applied for a job they were looking for a research position. They wanted a 2:1 with experience in certain social research methods. As you will know research methods are a big part of our degree. I received an e-mail they wanted answers of age and disability. I was sent a rejection e-mail with in the hour. I hope that with you being younger than me you have better luck.

by emma on 04 May 2017 11:01

Hi Steve l know this post is from some years ago but l was really saddened to read it. I am a 42 year old graduate with a first class degree and have brought up six kids, worked in a variety of work environments including my own businesses, and now l cannot get even a minimum wage job. All my skills, experience and obvious determination to succeed in life apparently count for nothing. I have applied for umpteen jobs and never even got a response, never mind an interview. I really hope you have found something and are doing well by now, and good luck for the future. Best wishes, Emma

by Claire on 18 July 2017 21:54

I graduated a few years ago with my Masters in English Literature from Cambridge University. I'm 38 now, have spent the past few years having babies and prior to that I raised my son, who has Asperger's Syndrome - I had to homeschool him as he couldn't manage in a classroom. He's at Uni now.

I have virtually no work experience at all. To make matters worse I have zero confidence and have recently put on so much weight I'm almost too shy to leave the house. I always wanted to study Psychology (my favourite subject) but applied to Cambridge to study English Literature because I thought they were more likely to offer me a place for English.

I am not at all interested in any English-related careers. Now I am struggling to work out how to carve out a career for myself. I'm inclined to try writing literature from home (I have always done well at it) but I would love a job doing something I could enjoy.

The problem is that I can't envisage being away from my children for long hours and schools seem such rough places for them these days. I know my attitude is hardly helpful.

All the careers that excite me are not related to my subject and would be very hard to get into. It doesn't help that I have no confidence at all. I hate the thought of selling myself on my CV and in an interview.

by Stuart on 14 August 2017 23:20

Hi Chris, I'm also a mature student hoping to get into building Surveying. Did you manage to find a position in the end?

by shaun on 21 August 2017 23:00

Graduated in 2009, age 30, with First Class Business degree.
Applied for hundreds of grad positions, and have got absolutely nowhere. Rejected countless times due to age. Did manage to get a Shift Manager job at McDonald's at 34, stuck it until I was 37, then walked straight into a really good traineeship in Oman. I would never have got this if I'd stated in UK. In the UK I couldn't afford to keep a roof over my head! Over here I earn a salary (tax free) that I could only dream of five years ago. Let's just say that Oman monthly is four times the McDonald's monthly wage. And my accommodation is under £400 per month including bills. My Honda car costs next to nothing to run. If I wanted to come back to the UK (I don't and if I can help it I won't), I could buy a half decent 2 bed house outright in the north of England by the end of next year.

Bearing in mind, the UK will be deep in recession by January, maybe sooner.

Get a useful degree guys, then come out here. You won't regret it, and if you have any brains you won't go back to the UK!

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.