by Laura on 30 August 2011 19:19

So..... i must be one of the most unlucky graduates around at the moment! Last week i found out that i had got the internship i had been wanting for weeks with a great company! Soo excited.... only to find out only 5 days later that the company were being forced to block new recruitment due to financial problems... GREAT!I don't know if i would have preferred this or not to have been offered the role in the first place...im so disappointed. This has left me jobless and back on the hunt. Does anybody know of any good positions open at the moment in the area of Environmental management?

by Josh on 30 August 2011 20:09

snap, ish....

i applied for a few nice jobs, but ive since found out (after the interviews) that they had someone for the jobs even before the interview started.... solely because by law theyre supposed to advertise any positions even if they already know whos going to fill it.

not very helpful and an excellent waste of my time....

aside from that, i work doing a manual job that i wont do forever and just have to wait till something comes up.....

by Joana Pedro on 31 August 2011 09:38

I am the most unlucky person around right now, I have been applying for jobs all over the job sites,even with two degrees and experience but I do not get to the second stage, is that because I am foreigner or what? can I need help

by Toby on 31 August 2011 09:42

Yeah, it's all just very frustrating to be honest! I have applied to so many positions and not heard back from anyone, or getting any feedback to help me. I've had a few interviews though but nothing has come from them at all and felt like a waste of time!

by Chuck on 05 September 2011 21:32

OMG didn't realise it was so difficult to get a job in the scientific field. Seems like I've just wasted 3 years of my life in getting a good Degree. If I don't find a job soon, might be forced to look abroad. Even applied for simple jobs that don't require a degree and still nothing.

by Zeb on 06 September 2011 18:57

Your not the only one. I seem to be getting rejected left, right and centre even with a masters degree. Its pointless waste of money and time. In financial debt with no employment opportunities looking viable, better off dropping out of school and flipping burgers working for your local McDonalds until you become a manager!!

by manny on 07 September 2011 07:44

There's loads of people out there in the same position. I finished my MBA over a year ago and still nothing. 2 degree's and years of experience and not a single interview. What to do?

by Mark on 07 September 2011 10:56

Yeah i know what its like trying to find a grduate job! I graduated in 09 spent a year working to get into the armed forces then told due to governemnt cuts they not taking on anymore just before chirtsmas of 2010. Ive been looking with no lick since january of this year! Applied for loads of jobs but generally heard nothing back, or if i do get told i dont have enough experience! How are we as graduates meant to get experence if no one will give us the chance!

by Frank on 07 September 2011 11:15

I'm sorry to hear about your situations. I've had similar misfortune recently. I graduated in Modern Languages and I'm really struggling to find work too. I can relate to people who feel their degrees are worthless, it's even worse if you have a 2:2! Energy companies offer good graduate jobs for science graduates. Does anyone know of any good graduate schemes that you can do with a languages degree? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

by Gary on 07 September 2011 12:06

It is very frustrating I know! I have applied to loads but eventually I have started to get interviews! Frank if you go to jobs by sector on graduate-jobs.com, there is a language part, I went to find the management sector and found languages there too.

by Matt on 07 September 2011 21:18

Back to the original question; I've noticed a number of environmental management jobs within local councils, they may not be exactly what you are after but at least may be in the right industry, and the money wasn't bad!

by Colin on 09 September 2011 10:56

MI5 Graduate Scheme

by Matt on 10 September 2011 07:44

Hi joana, im sorry to hear of your misfortune in finding a job. I was in the same position: being foreign, two degrees (one being post-grad) and having had work experience, as well as a great recommendation from a leading UK company; but no jobs would open up. Until January this year I was applying left right and centre and then I finally got through! I know it's tough and disheartening, but its not because you're foreign, it's simply because of the bad financial position the country and a lot of companies are in. Since starting at mine, over 600 people have been made redundant.

by adrian on 14 October 2011 15:24

try BP, they take on a number of non-STEM (non-science grads).

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.