by Priya on 09 May 2012 17:40

I would like to go into a career in consultancy.

I am doing a Mathematics BSc (Hons) and have the chance to change my degree title from that to Pure Mathematics BSc (Hons) due to the module choices I have made.

Is it worth changing the title or does keeping my broader title in fact make me more employable?

I don't want employers to think I can't do statistics or applied maths because this is not the case.

However, pure mathematics is difficult and might make me sound more employable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

by Helen on 10 May 2012 10:36

I won't pretend that I am fully familiar with the sphere you wish to go into but I don't think changing your degree title is going to make a huge difference. The fact that you are doing a Maths degree proves that you have ability and any extra information that you wish to add could be covered in your application forms. I think that your best course of action is to research Consultancy and see what the degree preferences for this career actually are (prospects.ac.uk is always a good one!), speak to a careers advisor at your university or even your personal tutor. Hope this helps and good luck Priya!

by Jerome on 10 May 2012 11:00

Lol. Students are funny. It won't make any difference whatsoever! Consultancies don't really care what degree you do, let alone what modules you choose. Pick the degree and modules that will maximise your mark.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.