by Helen on 11 August 2011 11:21

Do you think it is worth seeking a job within the charity sector? This is one of my options but I do not know much about it!

by Jonathan on 11 August 2011 11:26

Hey! The charity sector is actually growing, many people are seeking jobs here and with 150,000 charitable organisations employing more than 500,000 people and generating over £20 billion each year - It is certainly a good sector to go into! The pay gap between the charitable sectors and other sectors is also closing, so this is becoming more of an attractive sector to apply to! I would suggest that if you have not done any voluntering in the past, that you may want to do some before applying as this is a great way of breaking into the sector!

by Nadia on 22 August 2011 19:09

Hi Helen and Jonathan!
Im just wondering how you go about finding a well paid job in the charity sector-all the opportunities ive seen are very low starting salaries. Suggestions?

by Sally on 25 August 2011 11:57

Hi Nadia, I am also currently looking for jobs in this sector and after a lot of research and advice from others, it seems the typical entry level salary can vary from anything from £16,000 to £19,000. I think it just depends what type of charity you go for and the amount of experience you have! This sector seems to like canditates that have already had a lot of experience within some kind of charity already or through volunteering which may help but I guess you also have to think if money is your overall motivation in this sector? Hope I've helped!

by Sophia on 01 August 2012 02:50

Hi there,

I am also looking for a job in charity as it has been something i have always wanted to do.
However i live in Australia and the opportunities are scarce, especially as i am a graduate.
Does anybody know of any opportunities in Australia and how to get into them?

I am very sure that this is what i want to do, so im sure i will find something however im not sure if there are certain chanels to go through or exactly how it all works.
Any help or guidance would be incredible!

by Justin on 06 August 2012 09:40

Hi Sophie,

I can't speak for what happens in Australia. However, in the UK the best and most common route is to do a lot of volunteering work. The charity sector is really competitive and popular so it really helps if you are applying with a strong CV full of experience and proof that you are dedicated to the cause!

Hope this helps!

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.