by RobC on 07 March 2012 09:11

I have read that the number of graduates going into low paid jobs has significantly increased, with 1 in 5 grads still out of work!! - I'm in this position as a recent graduate myself working in a supermarket and struggling to find a relevant graduate position and find this whole thing very frustrating! I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? Are any of you in the same boat?

by Sophie on 07 March 2012 15:13

Hi Rob,

Yes, for the last few years the number of 'graduate roles' has decreased, as such more and more people find themselves in your position. I found myself in the same position after graduating over 2 years ago, with a 2:1 Law degree in a minimum wage role. I think that the issue is a lot of students are under a misconception that there will be a pot of gold at the end of their degree but this just isn't the case any longer. Due to the current economic climate employers favour those with work experience; there are just too many graduates in the labour market so firms can pick the best whilst even those with above mediocre qualifications are left feeling despondent.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for your problem, keep applying for positions, get some office experience and ride it out for a few years. I can only speak from my experience but this is what I have had to do. Although I am not practising Law, I am now working in a legal related job after getting experience in various roles; have you considered throwing your net a bit wider, considering other industries?

You will get there in the end Rob, it is just going to be more testing than you initially imagined. Good luck.

by Paul on 13 March 2012 17:48

I didn't realise there were 1 in 5 graduates out of work, but can relate to both of your experiences.

I've graduated since June 2010 (BA Hons, Business Management) and am still working in my local pub, as I was during my studies. I have tried my upmost to get a job and develop myself, but many employers aren't interested in taking on a graduate, or if they are, it appears to be short term, unpaid contracts with no guarantee of a permenant position at the end of the contract.

I have been working for my local Citizens Advice Bureau to try and get some experience, and it's going well, but I don't see a job appearing any time soon and it's really disheartening!

I think my advice is get some experience and keep going, we'll all get where we want to be someday!

by Bel on 15 March 2012 17:32

If i didn't read all your comments, i would have thought am the only one in this situation. From my point of view there are enough graduate jobs available. The only problem is, the employers expectations are too high and the competition is so great.
I have not given up. I am still trying to figure out what the employers really want and maybe I can meet their expectations.

Please keep on applying. You will never know when your shooting star will pass by.

by Kay on 16 March 2012 07:06

and so did I think that I am the only one out there trying to make ends meet by nmp. good luck guys!

by Kt on 16 March 2012 16:24

Have you thought about applying to Small to Medium Sized companies rather than the large organisations that have thousands of applications? If you think about the odds, you stand quite a good chance -I've got a few interview lined up with some! Good luck guys!

by Yusuf on 17 March 2012 11:55

As with many graduates I finished in 2010 with a 2.1, I moved to Wales to live with my girlfriend.

I had to take a job, and any job and with my part time work experience I got a bar job.

Its been hard, juggling work, relationships, money, social life for the last few years and at times have wanted nothing better than to pack it all in and move back.

Nevertheless I just got myself a high paid job with a one of the leading soft drinks companies. I really appreciate the fact that I got this job and how lucky I am.

However the one thing that kept me going is a simple sentence that my father said to me that I want to share with you all.

"It's a numbers game, if you keep applying, one person is bound to say yes. You've done the hardest bit already!" Seems a bit back handed but. It really does make sense, if you got the drive and the motivation, despite how hard it seems, you will get somewhere because the hardest bit was getting the degree!

by Holly on 17 March 2012 12:11

I graduated in 2009 with 1st class honours am still working in McDonald's. I spent 2 years saving for my Msc in HR Management which isn't easy on a McDonald's wage! Hopefully when I complete this, I might start getting to the interview stage instead of being rejected outright. It really is soul destroying. A little part of me dies every time I clock in...

by Kay on 18 March 2012 00:40

Holly you last line ... about clocking in... that's how I feel when I go to my dead end job. But I do not give up. I did masters too. I would think twice before doing it again or at least I would consider different type. I did consider HR but gave it up for a different one in european law.. good luck to you and everyone else who is trying hard!

by Kemi on 20 March 2012 01:54

It is so sad and frustrating that after getting a degree,it all ends up at Macdonalds! I obtained a 2.1 in my chosen field in 2011 after deferring my dissertation and now I just feel sometimes it was a waste of time.
Where do they expect us to gain work experience in our various fields of study when we are hardly given the chance to show our skills.I do not want to think of those poor buddies who are going to start paying 7 -9 thousand pounds to go through university and no jobs when they finish. Disaster !!

by Dean on 09 May 2014 10:12

I graduated with a 2.1 and I also hold a MA. I have spent the last two years working full-time as a night-shift newspaper packer/delivery driver. It is soul-destroying. I want to work in accountancy, but no graduate recruiters will take me on (numerical reasoning tests). The only graduate job I got an interview for only offered £13,500 per year. I earn more than that doing what I'm doing, and that barely covers my overheads.

I can't do voluntary work or seek out other part-time work due to the nature of my shift patterns and the fact that I work 6 nights a week. I've now been on anti-depressants for the last six months and have increasing anxiety that, just turning 25, my time to get on any sort of scheme is running perilously short.

University feels like a monumental waste of time as it seems that school-leavers can get jobs more easily, and on higher earnings.

by ms.j on 10 May 2014 22:42

I've spent almost the past year applying for jobs (with either of my 2 c.vs) after graduating with a 2:1. I have only had a few interviews so far. My job centre advisor told me that until I have work experience I am unemployable. Which was extremely disheartening to hear.

I am currently volunteering but even with a few things added to my c.v since graduating, most employers still want 'x' amount of experience. With so many graduates out of work I'm not holding my breath on being employed any time soon but when I am, if it's minimum wage so be it.

Board index

House rules

Note: All posts and replies to the graduate-jobs.com forums are anonymous. Your identity will not be revealed.

Opinions expressed here are not necessarily the opinions of graduate-jobs.com UK Ltd.