Vehicle Dynamics Industrial Placement / Simulation and Modelling Industrial Placement - Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Vehicle Dynamics Industrial Placement and Simulation & Modelling Industrial Placement
Brackley, United Kingdom
At the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team, a group of passionate and determined people work to design, develop, manufacture and race the cars driven by seven-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton and Grand Prix winner George Russell.
Whether working in our Operations, Technical, Race or Business Support functions, we are all in and aspire to build the greatest team in the history of our sport.
Every individual plays their part. No stone is left unturned in the chase for every tenth of a second. The history of our sport is long and rich, and we are continuing our journey with renewed effort year on year. Record books remember the names of a few, but history is written by the many.
About the Role:
Within the Performance Department there are various roles in the Vehicle Dynamics Group and Simulation & Modelling Team, you will join a department focused on developing mathematical simulation & modelling capabilities, understanding and improving vehicle performance. The scope of the industrial placement roles is far reaching, and you will contribute to enhance the capabilities of the Performance Department. Your direct responsibilities may include areas such as:
- Analysis of track and simulation data to optimise car performance.
- Development of new vehicle models and simulations to cater for specific request from the Performance Department or Race Engineering.
- Provide factory-based support to the Race Team and aid the decision-making at race events.
- Advance analysis techniques to better understand and quantify vehicle performance.
- Ensuring highest quality, by supporting the testing and regression of new and current simulations, by familiarising and extending our current testing framework.
- Support testing and development of new software infrastructural capabilities, such as vehicle or track parameters databases, to sign-off novel solutions for the department.
- Improve current processes and maximise the Department’s output by creating new solutions.
- Support testing in the driver-in-the-loop simulator.
Working alongside a group of experienced, talented and motivated engineers presents an exciting opportunity to develop your engineering knowledge and creativity. You will develop new skills and will be supported through the collaborative group of technical staff. You will gain a comprehensive insight into the fast-paced and challenging world of Formula One whilst broadening your technical skillset and benefitting your future career.
There is no requirement to have an interest in motorsport, we are looking for candidates who are passionate about reaching their full potential and are excited about constantly learning. Whatever your background, we believe that you will find your placement with us a memorable and enriching experience.
Successful candidates will have:
- Flexibility in hours and approach is required, along with a ‘can do’, ‘team-playing’ attitude and the ability to work to strict deadlines under minimal supervision.
- At least one year left on their studies at the time of taking up the placement in July 2024
- A strong background in a key engineering discipline with excellent capabilities in mathematics and dynamics
- Problem-solving skills
- Sound attention to detail
- Experience of software development and engineering tools such as MATLAB
Skills you could gain from your placement include:
- Data analytics
- Testing and development of new software capabilities
- Process improvement
Our riverside campus is powered by 100% renewably sourced energy and features an on-site gym and exercise studio, subsidised restaurant and on-site parking with EV chargers available.
We offer a competitive and attractive package of benefits including private medical cover, annual heath assessments, life assurance, 25 days holiday and a trackside familiarisation day.
At the heart of our performance are our people. Every member of our team has a voice and plays their part in contributing to our successes on and off the racetrack.
Through our Accelerate 25 programme, we are continuously working to make our team even more diverse and inclusive. Whatever your background, we believe that you will find working with us rewarding and enriching.
We welcome applications from everyone and are committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining the best and most talented individuals. We will look to provide sponsorship to candidates who require a visa to live and work in the UK, subject to meeting all the necessary Home Office requirements.
Recruitment timings and process:
Typically, our Industrial Placements are for a thirteen-month period starting in July 2024.
All assessments in the recruitment process are in English: this is the
primary language used within the organisation and you need a good level
of written and spoken English in the Industrial Placement role.
This position is office-based, at our campus in Brackley, United Kingdom.
Please submit your cover letter and CV as one PDF. Candidates will also be asked to complete our Industrial Placement questionnaire as part of the application process. You may apply for more than one placement but please note that you will have to complete the questionnaire for each application.
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 26 September 2023 at
23:59 British Summer Time.
Click here to apply today, or via the apply button below!