|Salary:||Competitive + benefits|
|Location:||North West, Manchester, Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme|
|Sectors:||Engineering, Computing & IT|
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, we’re transforming the world around us.
Thales Maritime Mission Systems provide a unique opportunity for you to create software that delivers a state of the art Sonar capability for UK and International Navies. Our systems are developed for a wide range of significant defence projects, including the Astute class submarines, Merlin helicopters, Type 23 frigates and the Hunt class mine countermeasures vessel. As a Thales Maritime Mission Systems software engineer, you’ll develop the next-generation of Sonar technologies, for which we are world-renowned. You’ll be a key member of the Software Development team based at the Thales site in Manchester, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with Thales sites in the UK and overseas.
Assessment centre dates: 14 November – 12 December across multiple locations
• The design, implementation and test of Human Computer Interface, Acoustic processing and middleware products, using industry standard tools and methods
• Define our solution by working with Systems Engineering to develop requirements and a test strategy
• Develop our systems by working as a key member of a project team to deliver a high quality, robust software deliverable that meets customer requirements, on time and within budget
• Support our systems by working with customer support functions to ensure that currently deployed software products are maintained on both land and at sea
• Build our strategy by working with the software management function to ensure that skills, technology and ways of working are developed.
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
• You’ll be required to provide evidence of activity that supports the desire to pursue an internship in Software Engineering at Thales
• A solid foundation in computer science
• Extensive programming skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• A desire to take responsibility for your professional development
• Experience of Java, C++, C, linux and shell scripts
• Awareness of Software configuration control principles, real time constraints in software development, and of UML modelling
• Knowledge of Software architectures.
You’ll be working towards an engineering Degree in a relevant subject e.g. Software Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Engineering etc. You‘ll work well within a team; to obtain co-operation and lead change. You’ll be self-motivated, with the ability to see innovative solutions to problems and the enthusiasm to drive them to a successful conclusion.
You will have the opportunity to travel to Thales and non-Thales sites throughout the UK when working on Thales projects. Therefore a willingness to undertake business travel is essential.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
Sign up for job alerts - its free
Competitive North West, Manchester ASAP
Competitive plus benefits South East, South West, London, The East, East Midlands, West Midlands, North West, North East, Yorkshire, Nationwide ASAP
£28,000 with OTE of £34,000 plus benefits plus Bonus The East, Cambridge 6-Sep-2018
£25,000 per annum North West, Manchester Various
£25,000 plus generous pension Stoke-on-Trent, West Midlands ASAP