|Salary:||Competitive + benefits|
|Location:||South East, Reading|
|Sectors:||Engineering, Computing & IT, Science & Technology|
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, we’re transforming the world around us.
Thales UK Land & Air Systems provides products and services for ground, naval and airborne applications. This particular role relates to the management of complex systems that have significant electronic, software, mechanical and optical content. You will work in a group whose role is to provide the necessary systems engineering expertise to develop products from creation through to qualification. The role will involve a variety of systems engineering tasks whilst working within time and cost restraints.Optronics and Missile Electronics (OME) at Reading sits within the Land & Air Systems Business (LAS) and is the UK’s sovereign provider of missile proximity sensors, fuzes and safety & arming units and opto-electronic systems used in a range of military applications. Employing appropriate hard and soft skills you will work in a group whose role is to provide the necessary software engineering design and analysis and expertise to develop products from specification through qualification and into service.
This is an opportunity for a talented engineer in electronics subjects with a broad understanding and background in various aspects of electronics systems.
Assessment centre dates: 13 November – 14 December across multiple locations
• Undertake the design, development and testing of electronics circuit/systems using the appropriate tools and adhering to company procedures and guidelines.
• Generate electronic circuit designs in accordance with technical requirements.
• Predict electronic circuit performance through modelling and calculation.
• Build prototype hardware as required, to prove the concept and functionality of the circuit design.
• Liaise with other engineers to ensure all electronic requirements are discussed and incorporated into product designs.
• Generate technical specifications, drawings and reports.
• Generate documentation to support product design certification.
• To generate Product Requirement Specifications from User Requirements
• To generate detailed requirements specifications from in house product requirement specifications and actively participate in design reviews, both internally and with our external customers
• To keep abreast with technology and identify new technologies, procedures and practices that may be of benefit to the business. Achieved via a combination of reviewing the relevant literature and attendance at seminars, briefings, courses and any other suitable sources of information
• To provide technical support and expertise to other departments within the company as required
Skills, qualifications and experience
• Demonstrate grasp of electronics/systems through University project.
• Enthusiasm for Electronics demonstrated through relevant experience.
• FPGA design principles
• Passive or active Infra Red System fundamentals.
• Radar Systems fundamentals.
• Circuit design entry and simulation tools (Cadence, PSpice etc).
• Design for EMC compatibility.
• Understanding of PCB layout criteria.
• Prototype circuit build.
• Use of standard laboratory test equipment.
• Use of CAEUse of mathematical modelling tools (Matlab/Mathcad)
• Interpretation of technical and financial requirements.
• Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines within budget.
• Knowledge of Quality Assurance and understanding of application to the Electronics discipline.
• Designing for military environment Analogue and digital design techniques.
• UK mobility may be required whilst on your graduate programme.
Please note that GDP activities take place during the working week but may require the investment of some personal time for travel and follow up activities. You may have the opportunity to travel to Thales and non-Thales sites throughout the UK when participating in Graduate Development Programme activities.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. This vacancy will require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
£26,500 plus benefits South West, Malmesbury Various
£26,500 plus benefits plus Bonus South West, Malmesbury Various
Competitive depending on experience North West, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Manchester, Republic of Ireland Various
Competitive plus benefits London ASAP
Competitive plus benefits London ASAP