Tax Graduate Trainee (Industry & Services and Financial Services)
Overview of the Service Line & Team
At Mazars we’ll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
As a trainee in our Tax Team, your time will be split between working on client projects, business development and studying for your professional exams. The role will be primarily office based, with regular opportunities to attend client or other advisors’ offices, as well as other Mazars offices both in the UK and overseas. However due to the current pandemic situation Mazars continues to work remotely only visiting the office and client sites on a restricted basis.
You will be provided an opportunity to work with colleagues in different tax disciplines in your first two years, including corporation tax with some experience within both indirect tax and specialist taxes, resulting in a broad understanding of the specialist services we can offer our clients. Your role will focus on working with clients in the Industry & Services market (across a range of sectors), and the Financial Services market.
Our Tax Team focuses on our corporate clients, meeting their tax needs in an environment of fast paced economic change, combined with complex and changing legislation both in the UK and overseas. Our corporate clients range from listed multinationals, large international owner managed businesses and clients in the financial services sector. The role of a Tax Trainee is to assist with the preparation of company’s corporation tax computations and returns and to ensure that they show a true representation of the company’s tax position. You will also have an opportunity to work within the Indirect Tax team, where you will support VAT compliance work, be involved in communications with HMRC and support the senior VAT team researching technical questions. Finally, you will get exposure to the Specialist Taxes team, where you will be involved with projects across employment tax and expatriate tax, amongst other areas.
During your first two years you will:
- Learn how to use tax software and systems in order to prepare a corporation tax computation and return.
- Develop a thorough understanding of financial statements and the nature of the clients’ business in order to complete the corporation tax computation to the best of your ability.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from other departments and clients whilst building good communication with both.
By the end of your final year, you will have had the opportunity to:
- Work on a range of different advisory engagements across UK tax covering a range of technical areas
- Develop a strong technical knowledge of the UK tax legislation, specifically across corporate taxes
- Coach and lead more junior team members on advisory engagements
- Understand the way in which different corporate entities operate across a range of sectors
- Work directly with our clients and begin developing relationships with those clients to deliver on repeat engagements
- Begin to manage advisory engagements, including planning, budgeting and project managing different service lines
- Develop a strong understanding of our control and risk management procedures
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths or Scottish equivalent.
We will fund your study towards the ACA/CTA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Mazars Interview Reviews
21 February 2018
My interview was a one on one interview with a member of their graduate recruitment team, the interview took place at their London office. The interview starts with an exercise...
19 June 2017
After completing verbal and numerical tests online, I was invited to the 1st round interview. It was with a member of graduate recruitment and it lasted around an hour where it...
06 July 2015
Firstly there is an online application form to pass. Then there are two stages to the Public Sector Internal Audit (PSIA) recruitment process which is different to the other...
Elsewhere on graduatejobs
Related :finance jobs london tax graduate trainee industry financial scheme mazars
People who applied for this job also applied for:
Tax Graduate Trainee (Nationwide)
South East, London, East Midlands, West Midlands, North West, Yorkshire, Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Sutton
Graduate programmes in Tax with PwC - Autumn 2021
South East, South West, London, The East, East Midlands, West Midlands, Wales, North West, North East, Scotland, Yorkshire, Nationwide
Audit Graduate Trainee (Public Services)
London, East Midlands, North West, Yorkshire, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham
Graduate Data Administrator
£23000.00 to £26000.00 per annum
We Are Aspire Limited
EY Tax Graduate Programmes - Birmingham
Competitive starting annual salary
East Midlands, West Midlands, Birmingham
Financial Advisory Services Graduate Trainee
South East, London, West Midlands, North West, Birmingham, Manchester, Milton Keynes