Tax Graduate Trainee - Edinburgh, Scotland
At Mazars we'll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
As a trainee in our Tax Team, your time will be split between working on client projects, business development and studying for your professional exams. The role will be primarily office based, with regular opportunities to attend client or other advisors' offices, as well as other Mazars offices both in the UK and overseas. However due to the current pandemic situation Mazars continues to work remotely only visiting the office and client sites on a restricted basis.
Our Tax Team focuses on our corporate and private clients, meeting their tax advisory needs in an environment of fast paced economic change, combined with complex and changing legislation both in the UK and overseas. Our corporate clients range from large entrepreneurial businesses to domestic owner managed businesses. While our private clients include entrepreneurs, high net worth individuals and owner/shareholders of our corporate clients. Your role will also involve working with clients in the Industry & Services market (across a range of sectors), and the Financial Services market.
You will be provided an opportunity to work with colleagues in different tax disciplines in your first two years, including corporation tax and personal tax with some experience within both indirect tax and specialist taxes, resulting in a broad understanding of the services we can offer our Privately-Owned clients.
Within Corporate Tax you will assist with the preparation of company's corporation tax computations and returns to ensure that they show a true representation of the company's tax position. Within Personal Tax you will ensure a client meets all their tax obligations by preparing and submitting tax returns and other necessary forms. You will also review clients' business structures and personal financial arrangements to deliver solutions for their financial goals and business needs. Within Indirect Tax you will support VAT compliance work, be involved in communications with HMRC and support the senior VAT team researching technical questions. Finally, within Specialist Taxes, you be involved with projects across employment tax and expatriate tax, amongst other areas.
During your first two years you will:
- Learn how to use tax software and systems in order to prepare a corporation tax computation and return.
- Develop a thorough understanding of financial statements and the nature of the clients' business in order to complete the corporation tax computation to the best of your ability.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from other departments and clients whilst building good communication with both.
- Learn how to use the tax software and systems in order to prepare tax returns and other necessary forms for individuals, trusts and estates
- Develop a thorough understanding of the tax legislation and the nature of the clients' personal financial circumstances.
By the end of your final year, you will have had the opportunity to:
- Work on a range of different advisory engagements across UK tax covering a range of technical areas
- Develop a strong technical knowledge of the UK tax legislation, specifically across corporate and personal taxes
- Coach and lead more junior team members on advisory engagements
- Understand the way in which different corporate entities operate across a range of sectors, as well as the different challenges facing our private client customer base in terms of managing tax risk, estate/succession planning and the implications of being internationally mobile
- Work directly with our clients and begin developing relationships with those clients to deliver on repeat engagements
- Begin to manage advisory engagements, including planning, budgeting and project managing different service lines
- Develop a strong understanding of our control and risk management procedures
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you're ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don't always go to plan – so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths or Scottish equivalent.
We will fund your study towards the ICAS qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Mazars Interview Reviews
21 February 2018
My interview was a one on one interview with a member of their graduate recruitment team, the interview took place at their London office. The interview starts with an exercise...
19 June 2017
After completing verbal and numerical tests online, I was invited to the 1st round interview. It was with a member of graduate recruitment and it lasted around an hour where it...
06 July 2015
Firstly there is an online application form to pass. Then there are two stages to the Public Sector Internal Audit (PSIA) recruitment process which is different to the other...
Elsewhere on graduatejobs
Related :tax graduate trainee edinburgh scotland glasgow mazars scheme
People who applied for this job also applied for:
DCC Business Management Graduate Programme
South East, South West, London, The East, East Midlands, West Midlands, Wales, North West, North East, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Yorkshire, Nationwide, Republic of Ireland
Trainee Recruitment Consultant - Central London - Trident
£30,000 to £40,000 OTE
Graduate Recruitment Consultant - London
7Spencer Ogden Ltd
South East, London
Recruitment Consultant - London
20000 to 50000
G2V Recruitment Group Ltd
Foxtons Trainee Estate Agent
£24,500 +Uncapped commission+company car
Graduate Sales and Marketing Executive
£22000.00 to £25000.00 per annum
We Are Aspire Limited