Tax Graduate - Private Client Services - Southampton
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. They service our clients around the world with everything from day-to-day compliance with tax authorities to advice on international tax to transaction support on mergers and acquisitions. That diversity of work requires a diversity of talents. Tax attracts specialists for the most technically complex challenges, versatile thinkers for large clients with varied problems and brilliant innovators who create tomorrow’s bespoke solutions. The graduate programme starts you off in compliance, immediately taking on important responsibilities including preparing corporate tax returns. You’ll take on more and more challenging work as you develop and will be able to specialise in a specific tax area or an audit group to really explore where your talents are most suited.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Tax Graduate Programme is your opportunity to learn our sector inside out, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO advisor and achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) Qualification on the Level 7 apprenticeship programme. This Apprenticeship is an employer-designed programme which offers a route to become a Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA). A career in tax will provide you with variety, if you enjoy working with people, the challenge of problem solving and an ever-changing, dynamic working environment then a career in tax is for you. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
• Assist the Seniors and Managers as part of a wider team to service their clients
• Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the senior and manager
• Carry out ad hoc requirements as may be reasonably required by the line manager
• Prepare client tax returns required by the Senior and Manager
• Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager
• Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
• Ensure client files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section
• Ensure professional standards are met
• Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealing
• Develop professional relationships with clients and colleagues within the firm
• Provide an efficient and proactive service to clients and their internal management to ensure that their needs are fully met
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
• Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges provided by their manager
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
We understand that everyone learns in different ways and the same environment isn’t always suited to every task. We’ll help you deliver the best quality output by giving you choice and flexibility around how, when and where you work. When you need to work collaboratively, you’ll be able to work closely with colleagues, whether that’s in our offices, onsite with clients, or one of our brand-new hubs; when you need to focus, you’ll be able to work from home or in one of our quiet concentration spaces, using technology to stay connected with colleagues. We’ll provide the environment, digital tools and training to enable you to perform at your best, whatever the task in hand, for yourself, your team, and your clients.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
• Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
• A 9–4 in Maths and English at GCSE or equivalent (we will also consider qualifications from outside the UK)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following core benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday;
• access to a Group Personal Pension Plan, with matched employer contributions;
• Life Assurance cover;
• Income Protection insurance;
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
• add on Private Medical, Personal Accident, Dental or Travel Insurance; Home Technology
• enrol in our Bikes to Work scheme;
• enjoy discounts at cinemas, dining out, shopping and gyms through our Employee Discounts arrangement;
• receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
• access additional services like our financial wellbeing platform, online GP service or our Employee Assistance Programme
Our firm is distinctive and we want to preserve and build on the strengths of our culture and the characteristics that make us both successful and different. We look for people from all kinds of backgrounds who share these same qualities.
Our systems work to support our people, not the other way around. We employ talented people with the imagination and initiative to make a real difference.