Severn Trent - Technical Leadership - Engineering
- £26,500 + benefits
- East Midlands, West Midlands
- Apply by:
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
happen. Work with water.
Together, we’re finding, building and implementing solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. On the Engineering Programme, you’ll have an impact on thousands of people and businesses, transforming and shaping lives, both today and tomorrow. At the same time, you’ll pursue a certification as a Chartered Engineer, by building up a portfolio of varied and inventive projects, and learning in-depth about your specialism.
Duration: 2 years on programme which includes 2, 12 month placements’
Our role requires us to make the connections between Victorian infrastructure and the networks of the future, earning the trust of millions of people, across the UK. To do that, we’re investing in new systems and programmes of work, and upgrading our sites and assets. As an engineer, you’ll be the driving force behind those initiatives, whether that’s tackling a secondment to develop your asset design skills or getting a greater exposure working with Senior Engineers on major projects, our engineering scheme helps you to take the direction you want.
You’ll need to respond to new pressures on resources and the environment, finding smarterways to supply our network and adopting newgreener technology to support our operations.
This is an opportunity to use original thinking to transform our network, by designing solutions to evolving challenges and overseeing their creation. Getting an end-to-end overview of the engineering process and exploring pioneering projects at different stages of their development,
The task of bringing water to millions of people is huge and there’s a
lot to learn, with lots of experiences on offer such as:
• Work on a wide range of projects, from asset design to strategic planning
• Experience a variety of on-site environments
• Be trusted to deliver large-scale projects early-on
• Pursue Chartered Engineer status
• Receive extensive training, from Design and Construction to Management Regulations
As an engineer with Severn Trent you won’t just impact the lives of people today – the work you do will have serious implications for generations to come.
The people who tend to do best have an appetite for learning, that entails being curious, dedicated and passionate about what we do.
What you'll be doing
Turn your interests into expertise
Here are examples of work our Graduates have recently been involved in:
• Flood alleviation and mitigation
• Managing the safety of dams and reservoirs
• Using telemetry to create early warning systems
• Designing new interfaces for our treatment works
• Solving pollution problems and implementing solutions on-site
• Running a number of operational sites simultaneously
These projects will allow you develop the technical expertise, experience and abilities you need to pursue Chartered Engineer status, as part of a clear progression path towards becoming a future leader of our organisation.
Do something that matters
We’re committed to developing young talent within our organisation. Our aim is to turn those individuals into the team and technical experts of the future. That means that you’ll be doing substantive work on major projects, from the get-go. As a result, you’ll have the chance to shape the lives of thousands – and, in some cases, millions – of people, from ensuring public health to improving the quality of the environment.
You’ll also have the opportunity to go on site-based placements and complete secondments, which will support you as you work towards chartered status.
Where we'll take you
Every secondment and operational placement you’re involved in will focus on developing the key skills and experience you need to become a Chartered Engineer. At the same time, you’ll have the opportunity to move towards a position as a Senior Engineer. At this stage, you’ll be leading your own teams, across a wide range of different projects.
As time goes on, you’ll play an increasingly large role in delivering our strategy for 2020, creating a more connected, sustainable and competitive service. If you want to stay at the forefront of engineering innovation, we can put you there. And, in such a rapidly changing industry, that journey could take you almost anywhere.
What we're looking for
• An accredited Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Civil Engineering degree, with any grade qualification
• A customer focus with the determination to make a difference
• Initiative and confidence to share new solutions to complex problems
• Excellent judgement when making strategic decisions
• Ability to build strong business relationships
• Flexibility to travel between locations
Sign up for job alerts - its free