Royal Society of Chemistry - £28,000 Tax free Teacher Training
- £28,000 tax free funding + benefits
- South East, South West, London
- Apply by:
- 22nd June 2019
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
If you’re passionate about chemistry and inspiring the next generation then we would love to help you on your way to becoming an inspirational chemistry teacher. One way that we are doing that is awarding £28,000 tax-free funding to talented individuals entering chemistry teacher training in England.
Teaching is an exciting, challenging and hugely rewarding career. No two days will ever be the same, but every day you’ll be sharing your passion for science and making a real difference to children and young people. It won’t always be easy, your patience and determination will both be tested, but if you become one of our scholars then we will support you through your training and beyond, with a range of fantastic benefits, as you grow into the excellent teacher we believe you can become.
We are offering up to 130 Teacher Training Scholarships to the very best graduates entering chemistry teacher training in September 2019.
In addition to £28,000 tax-free funding from the Department of Education
each of our scholars also receives:
• Mentoring by an expert chemistry teacher.
• Free classroom materials including books, posters and a lab coat.
• Meetings with other scholars from their region.
• Free online CPD courses focused on active learning in chemistry.
They also get free membership of the Royal Society of Chemistry for two
years, which includes:
• Education in Chemistry bimonthly magazine, with news, reviews and opinions written by teachers for teachers
• Access to Talk Chemistry, our online forum for teachers to share lesson plans, innovative resources and teaching ideas
• Access to national and regional networks for chemistry teachers and trainee teachers
• Up to a third off books from top scientific publishers.
Scholarships are available to graduates with at least a 2.2 degree and an excellent understanding of chemistry at school level. They will be awarded to talented individuals who impress us during a two-step application process. If you are not sure that you have suitable subject knowledge to apply for secondary chemistry teacher training in England, you might be able to improve your knowledge through a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course. You can find out more about SKE courses by visiting https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/teacher-training-routes/subject-knowledge-enhancement-ske-courses
You can apply before or after you have secured your teacher training place but we strongly recommend you submit your application as soon as possible. Before you apply please check that you match our eligibility criteria. If your online application is successful you will be invited to attend an assessment day in London.
The assessment days consist of:
• A one-hour individual interview
• A group exercise
• A chemistry knowledge test
If you are successful in securing a scholarship, you will be notified as soon as possible after the assessment day.
Applications will close on 28 July 2019. We run a rolling application process, with application deadlines staggered throughout the academic year. Each application deadline is followed by an assessment day for successful candidates.
Click the apply button below to find out more information and apply!
Sign up for job alerts - its free