Restructuring Graduate Trainee – September 2020 – Manchester
- £Competitive + benefits
- North West, Manchester
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
Overview of the Service Line & team
The Financial Advisory Services (FAS) team is a rapidly growing, award winning and global group. You will be joining a team at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and national creditor advisory services; all with the ultimate aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a wide range of financial issues. Our FAS specialists support clients raising finance for large infrastructure projects, advise on corporate acquisitions (both in the UK and cross border), restructure businesses to secure livelihoods and act as experts on high profile international investigations and disputes.
Restructuring Services (“RS”) is a national team of over 100 restructuring, recovery and insolvency professionals dedicated to helping businesses and their stakeholders during times of difficulty. We advise a wide range of clients across the UK - from large corporations to small family businesses, from major banks to law firms to government agencies. We also advise many different sectors including retail, manufacturing, engineering, agriculture, the leisure industry and construction. Additionally as a global firm, we have the opportunity to work internationally.
Our role is to help businesses and their stakeholders, providing advice to business owners and directors whether in respect of business underperformance or at the early stages of distress all the way through to achieving the best outcome for creditors as part of an Administration or Liquidation process.
Your role will be to support the Partners, directors and managers with the day to day aspects of corporate insolvency. You will also have an opportunity to work on advisory assignments preparing formal reports for lenders and other stakeholders with a focus on financial analysis of both recent and forecast trading.
Working in the RS team provides significant variety with each matter likely to have its own different strategy and challenges, including the marketing and sale of distressed businesses and also potentially trading businesses in Administration. You will have the opportunity to work closely with a variety of parties, including company directors, employees, major banks, solicitors and agents, in addition to working with internal Mazars contacts such as tax, pension and corporate finance colleagues.
You will also be involved in business development and marketing activities of the department. Your time will be mostly spent at the offices (although meetings or working from client sites may also be required) whilst also studying for your professional exams.
Initially you will assist other team members with the management of their portfolio of corporate insolvency cases. Tasks will include:
- Assisting with the realisation of assets including the sale of properties, equipment and the collection of trade debts;
- Producing the necessary reports for banks and creditors;
- Using appropriate statutory forms, preparing and maintaining files;
- Compliance with statutory procedures throughout the cases and ensuring case files are accurate, up to date and progressed quickly and efficiently;
- Preparation of Director conduct returns and investigation reports, drafting statement of affairs and reports, updating and generally attending to compliance, dealing with creditor enquiries and maintaining records;
- Carrying out investigations into the affairs of the entity and assisting with claims arising from such investigations;
- Prioritise and resolving conflicting client demands;
- Produce case reviews in accordance with the firm’s review procedure and provide feedback on progress of assignments to the partners;
- Assisting employees with their claims;
- Reviewing and agreeing creditor claims and assisting with the payment of dividends;
- Build strong working relationships with clients and intermediaries;
- Maintain control and stability under pressure whilst recognising deadlines; and
- Ensure that clients are billed according to agreed billing plans.
As you develop and progress, you will take on more responsibility in the form of your own portfolio of cases reporting directly to senior individuals within the team.
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Show vision, strategic perspective and focus on the achievement of longer term goals.
- Maintain control and stability under pressure whilst recognising the deadline or urgency to be dealt with.
- Make confident and clear presentations.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund for you to study towards the ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
CULTURE & REWARD
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION AT MAZARS
Mazars is committed to a 360 degree diversity approach, from building diverse leadership teams which reflect our clients and society, to creating an open, inclusive, culture where individual voices are heard. Our client-facing people can be required to travel regularly or may be based at client sites - our approach to agile working (see benefits) can help achieve a lifestyle balance without compromising on client service. We welcome applications from those returning to employment after a break from their careers. Visit our D&I page to see the ways we are driving diversity https://www.mazarscareers.co.uk/about-mazars/diversity-inclusion .
Bespoke Benefits that work for you
We recognise that benefits are important to you and our aim at Mazars is to give you as much choice as possible and to allow you to benefit from our buying power. We offer core benefits to all employees – holiday, pension, life assurance and income protection insurance. Beyond that we want you to be able to choose benefits that you want, rather than have all benefits chosen for you.
As a Mazars employee you also have access to a range of voluntary benefits including a shopping-discount platform, discounted phone contracts, gym memberships and interest free season ticket loans.
Mazars is an international, integrated and independent firm, specialising in audit, accountancy, advisory and tax services. Being part of the Mazars team means being part of something big! Operating in 89 countries around the world, the opportunities to build and develop your career are infinite. Whether that’s gaining exposure to different types of clients, learning new skills or exploring international opportunities. We open doors that make Your Years at Mazars, Years That Count.
In the UK, Mazars has approximately 140 partners and over 1,700 employees serving clients from 17 offices and is ranked one of the top 10 firms nationally. Globally we draw on the expertise of 40,000 professionals – 24,000 in the Mazars integrated partnership and 16,000 via the Mazars North America Alliance - to assist clients at every stage in their development.
Click below to apply today.
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Mazars Interview Reviews
21 February 2018
My interview was a one on one interview with a member of their graduate recruitment team, the interview took place at their London office. The interview starts with an exercise...
19 June 2017
After completing verbal and numerical tests online, I was invited to the 1st round interview. It was with a member of graduate recruitment and it lasted around an hour where it...
06 July 2015
Firstly there is an online application form to pass. Then there are two stages to the Public Sector Internal Audit (PSIA) recruitment process which is different to the other...
Sign up for job alerts - its free