|Salary:||£25,000 plus £3,000 relocation bonus per annum|
|Sectors:||Consultancy, Engineering, Management, Travel & Hospitality|
Rail Management Graduate at The Go-Ahead Group
About The Go-Ahead Group:
We are a leading provider of public transport in the UK bus and rail service sectors, delivering over one billion passenger journeys each year. Almost two million journeys per day take place on our bus network – as well as being London’s largest bus operator, we own eight regional UK bus companies. Currently a FTSE250 company employing 29,000 people across the country, we’re also expanding our international bus and rail portfolio. We are strong believers in local brands run by local management for local markets, and so are looking for motivated graduates who will grow and develop into our future operations managers and directors.
To start your application click here.
On our two-year rail management graduate programme you won’t be spending much time behind a desk! It’s important for you to experience all parts of our business, so you’ll learn about different areas of operations management by being immersed in several different train station environments and working directly with our crew. We expect you to achieve the following:
• Get a thorough understanding about how our rail businesses work
• Learn all the basics around operational safety and effectiveness
• Practice with hands-on
The role is hands-on – we trust our employees so you’ll be given plenty of work to do, not just shadowing others. You’ll be involved in a number of projects and be personally responsible for making sure they are completed. It’s also incredibly varied – you can expect shift-work, and coordinating a project the next. It’s varied in terms of location, too – you could be based anywhere on our network from Kings Lynn to Poole and anywhere in between. You’ll be making big decisions that will immediately impact the people travelling on our network each day.
Your career is important to you and to us; we see you as the next generation of Go-Ahead leaders, so we offer mentoring and support to help you develop.
Realistically, we expect you to become an operations manager after the programme (e.g. station manager, train crew manager or similar), then progressing into a senior manager role within the next five to seven years. Before you know it, you could be managing large teams of people and be responsible for the safe passage for hundreds of thousands of passengers.
Go-Ahead has ambitious plans to grow internationally, so the more flexible you can be in your career, the faster you will progress.
Have you got what it takes to be part of a world where every journey is taken care of? If yes, please read the requirements below and then apply today.
• The right to work in the UK
• Minimum 2:2 honours degree in any subject
• A full driving licence at the start of the programme
• Commitment to relocate up to three times during the two-year programme
• This is a safety critical role. This means that a job offer will be conditional on a health assessment against defined criteria (e.g. vision, hearing, physical health) to ensure that you are fit to perform a task effectively and without risk to your own or others’ health and safety.
What we are looking for:
• A positive attitude and the ability to inspire confidence in and
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills - clear, concise and engaging
• A customer focus, keen to deliver for Go-Ahead’s vast network of bus users
• The ability to work with team members at all levels and deal with members of the public
• Flexibility to relocate for three different placements (relocation bonus is provided)
• Forward-thinking, innovative ideas to drive the business forward
• Resilience and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment
• Skills in problem-solving, analysis and dealing with ambiguous data
• Organisation, methodical thinking, and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
• A collaborative approach – keen to share knowledge and skills
• A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
• Determination to succeed and develop yourself personally and professionally
• What Go-Ahead can offer you:
• A full induction to the Group and host train operating companies
• Membership to the Young Rail Professionals network: www.youngbusmanagers.org.uk and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
• Real responsibility – you’ll be managing teams, dealing with operational challenges and making significant decisions
• Full support from mentors and specialists to develop your operations management and leadership skills
• Opportunities to develop and excel – we spend £22million per year on training, so make the most of what is on offer
• Career progression – a senior manager role within five to seven years
• Free travel on Go-Ahead services
Number of roles available: 5
Start date: September 2018
Location: Anywhere on the GTR and Southeastern rail networks.
Salary: £25,000 plus £3,000 relocation bonus per annum
How to apply:
Apply online by submitting your CV and answering two open-ended questions. We process applications on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as you can.
Competitive plus benefits London, Glasgow, Scotland, Leeds, Yorkshire Various
Competitive plus benefits Watford, London Various
Competitive plus benefits London ASAP
£20,000 tax free bursary North West, North East, Yorkshire, Nationwide 19-Oct-2018
£20,000 tax free bursary South East, South West, London, The East, East Midlands, West Midlands 19-Oct-2018