Landing Gear Graduate - Airbus
- £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000
- South West, Bristol, Filton, Little Stoke
- Apply by:
- 18th November 2018
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
Start date: September 2019
The Landing Gear Centre of Competence (CoC) is one of Airbus Commercials six Engineering Centres of Competence including Cabin and Cargo, Airframe, Systems, Flight Physics and Powerplant.
We provide operational leadership and excellence across Landing Gear
• Landing system definition and vendor management for new programmes, incremental developments and to support continuous product development.
• Integration of the Landing Gear product into the aircraft.
• Evolution, application and maturity of Landing Gear development processes.
• Holding relevant capabilities, competency, technical expertise, signatory rights and Design Organisation Approval.
• Proactive product support for industrialisation, production and in-service.
• CoC business strategy and operations management.
• Execution of product, technology and innovation strategies to deliver Landing Gear related Research and Technology (R&T) for future and current Airbus products.
The philosophy of the CoC is to provide a challenging, exciting and rewarding working experience for all of our people. We embrace diversity and believe in building empowered teams of complimentary personalities and skills. Key to achieving this are respectful team members with good organisational and communication skills, an ability to listen, learn and take the lead in the correct situation.
Landing Gear engineering requires a combination of structural and systems disciplines.
• Structural aspects refer to the mechanical landing gear and the
interfaces to the aircraft structure to take loads upon landing.
• Systems refer to hydraulic, electrical and computer systems which manoeuvre the aircraft on the ground and retract or extend the gear once in flight. The development of these systems requires control laws and other safety critical software.
• Airbus is the aircraft integrator and the Landing Gear CoC interfaces and manages many suppliers to provide the components, equipment and systems that together form the Landing Gear product.
Within the CoC we have a stream of work dedicated to R&T that seeks to define the future landing system product. Topics include advanced materials and structures, future manufacturing including Additive Layer Manufacturing and next generation sensors, systems and monitoring.
The Landing Gear CoC is also a strong contributor to the Airbus Digital Transformation and Skywise Digital Platform.
• We are working to extract value by applying advanced analytics to the
big datasets that are generated across the full lifecycle of aerospace
development. This includes in-service and flight test aircraft fleets,
ground test rigs, virtual test simulations and the completion of our
• We are moving towards a Model Based System Engineering approach, targeting the use of models and digital tools as a means of communication and knowledge capture.
• We are enabling the connected, digital "Internet of Things" aircraft and progressing towards a digital twin of our product.
• We are seeking to take value from virtual and augmented reality technologies.
Work Environment and Tasks
We welcome applications from forward thinking innovative graduates who are eager to develop themselves into a position of technical or managerial excellence in order to support the Landing Gear contributions to our existing and future aircraft programs. We promote a culture of empowerment so as a Landing Gear Engineering graduate this begins on day one. You will also join our early careers community who support each for professional development and to help integrate into life in the vibrant city of Bristol.
The programme is a combination of placements that are typically 3 to 6 months. With support from the domain, you will be responsible for planning your placements in line with your development and learning objectives and with the business needs. These placements collectively accelerate your understanding of the wider business and empower your career progression.
• Several placements shall be completed within the Landing Gear CoC to
experience the wide range of roles and accountabilities and to
understand what areas motivate you most.
• We also encourage that you take several placements outside of Landing Gear CoC to experience related areas of the company and to broaden your network, knowledge and skill set. Some examples include procurement, final assembly line, marketing, digital transformation, RnT, future projects.
• A highlight of the programme is the opportunity to propose a placement with an external business so you gain exposure to the Airbus Supply Chain, Airbus Customers or other networks which enables you to experience other business models, technologies and customer mindset.
For each placement you are responsible for the planning and completion of the individual objectives set by yourself and your placement manager. These objectives then form the tasks and accountabilities that contribute to your performance assessment during the programme.
As part of your Engineering Graduate Programme you'll have the option to enrol on to our Postgraduate Diploma in Engineering, allowing you to further build upon your technical skills, knowledge and business understanding, whilst aligning with competencies as specified by the UK Engineering Council.
The Postgraduate Diploma is gained through a combination of academic lectures and project-based work, where the qualification you will obtain through this programme is a key milestone on the path towards registration as a Chartered Engineer.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
The following degrees are highly relevant to Landing Gear CoC Engineering. Our expectation is degree level (2:1 or above) or accredited MEng or equivalent.
• Aeronautical, Aerospace or Space Engineering
• Systems Engineering
• Engineering with Math's/Physics
• Engineering as a core degree in combination with another.
• Systems Engineering
• Mechanical Engineering
• Robotics and Mechatronics
• Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology
• Digital technology
• Data Science and Analytics
Skills and Experience:
• Project Management
• Analytical thinking and problem solving.
• Teamwork and leadership
• Pro-active with a strong drive for personal development
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Please demonstrate your motivation for this graduate position within a covering letter and CV.
Please note applications close 4th November 2018.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email Graduates@airbus.com. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Sign up for job alerts - its free