Health & Safety Advisor
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our Business Risk Team as a Health & Safety Advisor. As a Health & Safety Advisor, you will support the business in ensuring that the Retail and Distribution network operates in a safe manner and complies with the requirement of all relevant Health, Safety and Fire Legislation.
Health & Safety Advisor - The role
• Support the Group Health and Safety Manager in developing and maintaining all elements of Matalan?s Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
• Provide information, technical specialist advice and guidance in line with current UK Health and Safety Legislation.
• Undertake H&S Inspection/Audits of stores to check compliance against management standards of occupational health and safety.
• Maintain the Stores Health and Safety Inspection data base to monitor the audit program.
• Monitor, and where necessary investigate accidents / dangerous occurrences. Actively seek measures to prevent reoccurrence resulting in a reduction in accident numbers.
• Create monthly accident trend analysis information in preparation for the Board Paper
• Liaise, on behalf of the Group Health and Safety Manager, with external enforcement agencies in relation to health, safety and fire compliance matters.
• Support and facilitate the Stores Health and Safety for Managers course.
• Promote a positive safety culture through a comprehensive programme of training & development, effective communication, detailed guidance and clear leadership.
• Ensure compliance with standards required by the Regulatory Authorities and Insurance Surveyors and to manage risk improvement measures, feeding back where necessary.
• Collate and input data on the bi-annual fire risk assessment, evacuation and training programme.
• Undertake, revise operational risk assessments and introduce risk reduction strategies. Where required, build these strategies into the Safety Management System.
• Liaise where appropriate with Health, Safety and Fire Safety Enforcement Officers - ensuring any identified non compliances are actioned.
• Work with Matalan Insurance Brokers on various risk management projects such as annual Risk management Surveys - ensuring all actions are carried out in a timely manner
• Maintain the store Health & Safety Files and associated information.
• Collate and distribute the monthly news letter and accident statistics.
• Provide administrative support to the Business Risk Team in general where required.
• Carry out any additional tasks required by your Line Manager.
• To establish strong relationships with key colleagues in the Business Risk Team, Store Managers, Regional Managers, Head Office and other functions within Matalan, to identify issues and develop solutions.
• Provide advice and support to the Facilities Department to ensure full health, safety and fire legislative compliance of all contractor activity on our premises
Health & Safety Advisor - The Candidate:
• Hold Technical Specialist status with the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (Tech IOSH) with participation in the CPD (Continued Professional Development scheme).
• Hold as a minimum a NEBOSH General Certificate.
• Good working knowledge of Health, Safety and Fire Legislation, UK and EC Legislation.
• Experience holding a similar role in health and safety. Preferably within a Retail environment.
• Experience of creating and facilitating health and safety training at across many disciplines.
• Experience of undertaking inspection / audits across a multi site business and reporting on the results accordingly.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with all levels within the group. Ability to influence up as well as down.
• Able to adopt a continuous improvement approach to meet the challenges presented by a fast moving retail environment.
• Robust, resilient and assertive, not afraid to make decisions.
• Ability to plan and prioritise work in order to meet any required specific deadlines.
• Strong IT skills, having a good working knowledge of Word, Excel, Crystal reporting and PowerPoint.
• Excellent standard of communication skill, with a strong attention to detail.
• Naturally enthusiastic with the ability to deliver solutions.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.
£25000.00 to £45000.00 per annum negotiable plus Bonus plus share scheme London ASAP
£22k basic, £40k OTE negotiable plus benefits salary review London ASAP
£24,000 (per annum) London ASAP
£21k basic, £35k OTE plus OTE London ASAP
£13,930 (per annum) London ASAP
£23,000 to £35,000 OTE plus benefits International (Europe), International Ongoing
£26,000 plus benefits South West, Nationwide 2-Oct-2017
Competitive plus expenses London ASAP
£24, 500 plus benefits salary review Nationwide 1-Sep-2017
£19k London ASAP
Competitive plus benefits London, Glasgow, Leeds, Nationwide ASAP
Competitive plus benefits London, Northern Ireland, Nationwide Ongoing
Competitive Nationwide Ongoing
Competitive Nationwide Various
Competitive plus benefits South East, Central, East Midlands, West Midlands, Wales, North West, Nationwide 2-Jun-2017
Competitive plus benefits South East, Central, West Midlands, Wales, Leicester, Manchester, Nationwide Various
Competitive plus benefits South East 1-Jun-2017
£25000 to £35000 per annum plus benefits plus OTE plus Bonus South East Various