Graduate Project Manager - Highways England
- South East, South West, London, The East, East Midlands, West Midlands, Wales, North West, North East, Scotland
- Apply by:
- 3rd November 2018
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
This is your chance to shape the country’s most important piece of infrastructure. Highways England operates, maintains and improves England’s motorways and major A roads. These vital arteries account for a third of all traffic, carry two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and are relied on by 98% of the UK's businesses.
Increasing levels of investment are leading to all manner of innovations, like smart motorways that help traffic flow smoothly. But with 4,300 miles of motorway, 21,870 miles of pavement and 16,000 structures, our work continually increases in scale and complexity. Not least as we bring £11 billion-worth of projects to life, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
We are looking for ambitious graduate project manager who are ready to work hard, to take their career to the next level. In return, we’ll support your journey to become an accredited project manager, offer you a comprehensive benefits package and enough opportunities to steer your career in the right direction.
Our Graduate Project Managers will mix study with real life work. You will complete 9 - 12 inspirational placements over three years, and the projects, challenges and responsibilities you take on will complement your push towards becoming a member of the Association for Project Management
Senior figures within the team will help you plan your placements so you can take control of your development. as you act as an ambassador for project management at Highways England. Equally, day releases will give you the time to focus on your studies.
Once you have completed our 3-year flexible programme, you will have proven, certified skills that are in demand around the world, together with experience of equally impressive projects.
Moreover, you will have a wealth of new opportunities to explore right here, as you continue to make improvements to society by creating roads that are ever-more efficient, effective and above all safe.
• Profession-specific schemes and additional learning leading to APMQ
• A combination of workshops, formal training and ‘hands-on’ experience to develop your technical, commercial and consulting skills
• On-the-job training with a chance to experience many different aspects of project management through placement rotation.
• Mentoring from senior project managers to provide support, guidance and career development planning while on the programme and beyond
• A dedicated line manager to provide you with encouragement, direction and career planning support to steer you into a permanent role with us at the end of your programme
• Opportunities to move your career to the next level after successful completion of the programme
• A two-day induction programme and a variety of annual networking events
• A strong graduate community with reps across all locations providing regular opportunities to stay connected with your peers across the business.
• 2 employee volunteering days per year to support good causes
• At least a 2:2 degree in any subject
• Good team player with an enthusiasm and passion to succeed
• Confident, influential communicator and good listener.
• Exceptional coordinator.
• Proactive personality who meets deadlines and prioritises where necessary.
• Clear and concise writer, able to effectively distil complex and detailed topics.
A good salary is matched by a contributory pension. A broad, flexible benefits package which offers a huge variety of lifestyle discounts on everything from cinema tickets to food shopping. Automatic membership to the Highways England’s Graduate and Apprentice Forum which offers a variety of networking opportunities including graduate away-days, conferences, social networking events and peer-to-peer support for those that require it.
We also offer childcare vouchers and an initiative where we can contribute up to 60% of the cost of school holiday play schemes.
As well as a CV, please include a covering note. It should detail how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role and our broader requirements, and how on a personal level you would thrive in the role.
Please note, you will need to provide ID and valid proof of your Right to Work in the UK at your first interview.
We expect the role to be popular, and may withdraw our invitation for applications early. To avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Sign up for job alerts - its free