- £25,758 to £27,045
- South East, South West, West Midlands, Bristol, Nuneaton, Bedford
- 16th December 2019
- Start date:
- Job type:
- Graduate job
Location: Bristol, Nuneaton, Bedford
Closing date: 16 Dec 2019
Have you recently graduated or are on course to graduate with a degree in an automotive engineering discipline with an aim to becoming a Chartered Engineer?
Are you looking for the next exciting step in your career and to work on challenging projects?
If this sounds like you we have a fantastic opportunity waiting here at the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA). We are pleased to offer the VCA Graduate Scheme, an exciting training programme involving a structured series of placements supported by a full timetable of formal and on-the-job training. We would love to build an enthusiastic student into a talented engineer armed with first-class knowledge and experience, giving you the chance to work with and learn from experts in the industry.
Your initial two years will involve finding out about all the different and fascinating areas within VCA to ensure a deep understanding of our organisation, while gaining first hand experience of the automotive industry. This will involve many opportunities to run projects, work at testing laboratories and even visit heavy vehicle and car manufacturers.
Following the completion of your first two years of development, subject to satisfactory performance, you will move into a permanent position within VCA.
What will you do?
During the first two years of the training programme you will have the chance to:
- Go on placements within various parts of VCA and the Department of Transport where you will be involved in running engaging technical projects and a variety of engineering. You will also build your understanding of how legislation is produced and the impact it has on the agencies;
- Spend time at heavy vehicle and/or car vehicle manufacturers - providing you with a top quality understanding of how vehicles are designed, how they are manufactured and what systems are put in place to meet legislation;
- Work at a vehicle testing laboratory learning how vehicles or systems
are tested before they enter production. You will also learn how they
are instrumented and how the work of VCA affects the running of these
A significant amount of training will be provided to equip you with the skills require perform at your best. Support will be given throughout the final two years, both professionally and from an IMechE perspective. After the four year training period you'll be in a position to become a Chartered Engineer and continue as a valued member of the team you have joined. We are also happy to give you the opportunity to have a placement in one of VCA's overseas offices.
To be considered for the Graduate Scheme you will need to have:
- A 2:2 or higher (or expected) in an IMechE or IET accredited degree (Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering or any engineering discipline closely linked to those, including degrees with a focus on technologies relevant to connected or autonomous vehicles;
- A driving licence or licence valid to drive in the UK;
- A valid UK work permit;
- Ability to use a combination of general and specialist mechanical engineering knowledge and understanding to optimise the application of existing and emerging technology. We want you to be able to apply these skills in a leadership capacity;
- Ability to apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to the
analysis and solution of engineering problems.
In addition to the above, you will also confidently demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and a personal dedication to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the environment. You love to go above and beyond at work and overachieve where possible. As there will be a considerable amount of travel around the UK and visits overseas, you should also have the flexibility and willingness to travel.
Vehicle Certification Agency
The Vehicle Certification Agency is an executive agency of the United Kingdom Department for Transport, and is the UK's type approval authority.
Sign up for job alerts - its free