Overview of the Advisory & Consulting service line
The Advisory & Consulting Service Line is a rapidly growing, award winning, global group of successful teams working together to present a go-to-market differentiator whilst delivering the highest quality of work for our clients.
If you are successful in securing a role on our training programme you will join a team of 600+ innovative specialists across a variety of sectors including Financial Services, Industry & Services, and Public Services with consultative expertise in Risk & Management Consulting, Internal Audit, Actuarial and all aspects of the Tech & Digital space. Our Advisory teams are at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a range of financial issues as one collaborative team.
An introduction to our Financial Services Consulting team
Financial Services (FS) Consulting provides a diverse range of services to our clients in the sector. Predominantly clients are banks and insurers but can also include investment firms and payment institutions. The team provides advice and guidance to clients on all aspects of financial services regulation to help them stay compliant, with the vast web of regulations applicable to the industry.
FS Consulting has a dedicated Regulatory Compliance team focusing on conduct regulation and everything in the realm of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The FCA's primary purpose is to protect consumers, protect the integrity of the financial system and to promote competition, in the interests of consumers. It expects regulated entities to put the consumer at the heart of their business.
Our services are very much aligned to the FCA purpose and we help clients meet FCA's expectations – including, but not limited to, combatting financial crime, ensuring operational resilience, strengthening the compliance function, ensuring the people leading the business are competent to do so. The work is diverse, interesting and purposeful.
This role is dedicated to sit within the Regulatory Compliance part of FS Consulting.
The role of a Junior Consultant is to support the team in delivering projects. This means assisting in all aspects of the project lifecycle; from the sales or ‘business development' process, to project planning, execution of fieldwork and preparation of deliverables including actively contributing to final recommendations.
You will be involved in non-client activities such as assisting with internal projects and research initiatives.
We are now working to a new hybrid working model, so as a junior consultant you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office or client sites when required. With the potential of travel outside of the UK, depending on government guidelines.
During your first year you will:
- Provide support to managers and supervisors on projects across various client types and service offerings;
- Develop a strong understanding of consulting methods and financial services regulation; and
- Interact with clients' staff and build an effective rapport.
- Work within a team to ideate and develop new data driven solutions to solve critical challenges faced by businesses.
During your second year you will:
- Take more responsibility on projects;
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers; and
- Provide guidance to less experienced team members.
After two years you will:
- Start specialising in particular service offerings of Regulatory Compliance
- Take on more responsibility for developing service lines and the business;
- Take more responsibility on project planning, owning project deliverables; and
- Demonstrate foundational project management capabilities.
The typical daily duties will include:
- Research information and statistics as required;
- Collection and synthesis of information from research;
- Drafting client-specific conclusions and recommendations based on research;
- Considering the impact of financial services regulations on the client;
- Maintaining professional working relationships with clients and your colleagues throughout fieldwork and social activities;
- Supporting sales and business development processes by assisting in the preparation of proposals for new work;
- Assisting in running workshops and conferences with our clients; and
- Assisting in writing publications of internal and external articles on topics of interest for financial services.
- Ability to express ideas with authority and conviction throughout verbal and written communication.
- Ability to think creatively, generate innovative ideas, challenge the status quo, and deliver work effectively.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills: the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Ability to multitask and work with tight timelines.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity, and integrity.
- Desired: Previous work experience or internship in Regulatory Compliance, Financial Services, Finance or the Consulting Industry
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don't always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self – academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed. We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
We operate several in-house training courses which will give you the technical insight into financial services regulation and best practices, both in the UK and worldwide.
You will be supported by an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. You will also be allocated a buddy, who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.
After you have completed two years as a Junior Consultant, there will be an opportunity for you to study towards a professional qualification if desired.
- Annual Leave +
- Charitable Giving
- Dental Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits
- Virtual GP
- Cycle to Work
- Gym Discounts
- Life Assurance
- Benefits +