Financial Advisory Services Graduate Trainee
Overview of the Service Line
The Financial Advisory Services (FAS) team is a rapidly growing, award winning and global group. You will be joining a team at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and national creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a wide range of financial issues. Our FAS specialists support clients with raising finance for large infrastructure projects, advise on corporate acquisitions (both in the UK and cross border), restructure businesses to secure livelihoods and act as experts on high profile international investigations and disputes.
As part of our unique FAS training programme, you will be offered the opportunity to rotate through various Business Units within our market leading team. Our Business Units are as follows:
- The Forensic and Investigation Services (FIS) team work on assignments with a variety of clients in different sectors including; oil & gas, shipping, mining, telecommunications, intellectual property and royalties, pharmaceuticals and financial services (including insurance).
- The Deal Advisory, Mergers & Acquisition (M&A) team guides clients through a wide range of critical business transactions. Our advisory team focusses on originating transactions, structuring, negotiating and managing deals for a diverse variety of clients.
- The Deal Advisory, Due Diligence (DD) team supports corporate clients, private equity providers and investment funds through mergers, acquisitions and disposals. Our clients’ main objective is to maximise their return on the deal. We help them understand the opportunities and risks of the deal by thoroughly assessing the target company’s finances.
- The Restructuring Services (RS) team is a national team of over 100 restructuring, recovery and insolvency professionals dedicated to helping businesses and their stakeholders during times of difficulty.
- The Global Infrastructure Finance (GIF) team provides financial advisory, modelling and training services to the global infrastructure market. The team combines market leading expertise with deep knowledge of our chosen sectors and deliver that capability globally as one team.
As you rotate you will have the opportunity to work across a range of industries from large corporations to owner managed business and private clients. We also advise in many different sectors including retail, manufacturing, engineering, agriculture, technology, media, telecoms, real estate, renewable energy and healthcare, both in the UK and around the world.
As a FAS Trainee, your time would usually be split between working with the team and our clients and studying for your professional exams. However due to the current pandemic situation Mazars continues to work remotely only visiting the office and client sites on a restricted basis.
You will learn to provide high-quality investigations, draft accurate advice, prepare expert reports, models and testimony on financial and accountancy matters. You will develop the capability to advise and help clients buy and sell businesses or raise debt / equity finance. Your involvement will include participation in pitches and proposals through to deal completion. You will have the opportunity to help businesses and their stakeholders by providing advice in respect of business underperformance, or at the early stages of distress, to help achieve the best outcome for creditors as part of an Administration or Liquidation process. These are just some examples of the interesting and varied work we will engage you in during your training with our team.
During your first year you will:
- Spend time with our Audit business, learning the core principles of accountancy.
- Undertake in-depth financial analysis and document reviews, working closely with managers and partners to support the preparation of reports.
- Prepare targeted analysis of data under supervision of project managers.
- Complete independent verification of expert reports to ensure that all facts and figures therein agree to supporting documents and effectively communicate any identified issues to the project team.
- Assist managers and partners by preparing tables, charts, exhibits and appendices for inclusion in reports.
- Develop an understanding of a variety of financial and accounting disputes and the nature of businesses in numerous sectors.
- Be able to identify relevant information and critically analyse the information to support the project team.
- Produce high quality research / presentation packs for meetings with existing and prospective clients including market and deal research, valuation multiples and potential buyers / acquisition targets.
- Help support the team in the execution of transactions; including being able to obtain relevant information and assisting in drafting sales marketing documents / pitch documents.
- Assist on building financial models and undertaking financial analysis.
- Take ownership of key administration tasks across all aspects of a deal and business development / marketing activities.
- Undertake in-depth financial analysis and document reviews, working closely with managers and partners to support the preparation of financial due diligence reports.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from targets whilst also building rapport with clients.
- Assist experienced colleagues with the management of their portfolio of insolvency and bankruptcy cases, including matters of asset realisation, learning to appropriately apply statutory forms and maticulously comply with statutory procedures.
During your second year you will:
- Take ownership of drafting sections of a report allocated to you.
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring it is client ready and consistent with the expected house styles and quality.
- Aid less experienced team members.
- Attend meetings with clients and contribute on specific aspects of deals, such as buyers list and marketing document sections.
- Support project management by ensuring the set timetable is followed by all parties involved (including other financial/legal advisors).
- Perform detailed analysis of a client’s business to fully understand its drivers, risks and opportunities.
- Analyse financial performance of companies and perform draft valuation calculations.
- Be a point of contact for clients and parties throughout transactions.
- Prepare documents and research for business development meetings with key intermediaries.
- Support the team in its business development and marketing activities.
- Effectively balance multiple projects and responsibilities.
In your final year you will take on more responsibility in the form of your own portfolio of cases reporting directly to experienced individuals within the team. You will be expected to take responsibility for larger sections of expert reports, or for the entirety of a smaller project, ensuring completion delivery within stated deadlines. This will include actively participating in both team and client meetings and taking responsibility for the budget of the project and active participation in some marketing and business development activities.
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Ability to communicate professionally both internally and externally orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Ability to maintain control and stability under pressure whilst recognising the deadline or urgency to be dealt with.
- Ability to make confident and clear presentations.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund your study towards the ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Mazars Interview Reviews
21 February 2018
My interview was a one on one interview with a member of their graduate recruitment team, the interview took place at their London office. The interview starts with an exercise...
19 June 2017
After completing verbal and numerical tests online, I was invited to the 1st round interview. It was with a member of graduate recruitment and it lasted around an hour where it...
06 July 2015
Firstly there is an online application form to pass. Then there are two stages to the Public Sector Internal Audit (PSIA) recruitment process which is different to the other...
Elsewhere on graduatejobs
Related :financial advisory graduate trainee milton keynes mazars
People who applied for this job also applied for:
NEW Graduate Marketing Executive
£28000 to £35000 per annum
IT Graduate Recruitment
Graduate Consulting Sales - Keyence
Keyence UK Ltd
London, West Midlands, North West, North East, Republic of Ireland, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Heathrow
KPMG 2021 Consulting Graduate Programmes - Bristol, Edinburgh and London
South West, London, Scotland, Bristol, Edinburgh
Trainee Recruitment Consultant 2021 - Central London
£30,000 to £40,000 OTE
Risk Consultant - Graduate Trainee - Manchester - Immediate Start
West Midlands, North West, Manchester
Data Product Graduate Scheme 2021– Kubrick
£32,000 year one salary, rising to £40,000 in your second year